[SOLVED] I have to use sfc /scannow after every windows update.

gazza1988

Honorable
May 31, 2017
Hi

After every Windows update I have to us sfc /scannow.

When I say every, I mean feature updates and cumulative updates that affect the operating, driver updates and malicious software tools and the like doesn't seem to do anything wrong.

If it updates and the kids want to play fortnite it throws an error up and that error is integrity violation and to run sfc /scannow, It will find integrity violations and fix them no problem.

My question is: What causes this to happen?

I can randomly decide to do a sfc scan and there's no violations. Until I update.

The system has been scanned by my antivirus and by Malwarebytes.

I've had the issue for around 6 months (happens around 2-3 times a month so I've used scannow to fix it but surely this isn't normal behaviour?

EDIT: I've just looked at my update history and on 11th November 2020 I updated to version 20H2 from 2004. If this is just "Normal" behaviour and I have to live with it then so be it. A scan takes little time and the fixes are fairly quick. I'm just concerned I may have a deeper problem.

Last edited:
Solution
maybe run a chkdsk on the boot drive and make sure its okay

try the extended version
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

Colif

Win 11 Master
maybe run a chkdsk on the boot drive and make sure its okay

try the extended version
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

Solution