I have tried everything and my GPU still won't work PLEASE HELP!

Jul 17, 2018
For the past 2 weeks I've been trying to install a gtx 1050 into my old gateway desktop pc. It has an intel core i3 processor with integrated intel hd graphics and the model is a DX4831. The GPU is plugged into the PCIe slot and the fan is whirring so it's powered on but when I plug my monitor into it my screen remains black with my monitor in standby with its light blinking. It's receiving the 300W minimum it requires and I unplugged and plugged it in again just to make sure it was secure but still nothing.
I tried installing the latest and older drivers with my integrated graphics disabled or uninstalled entirely but the drivers won't install. The installer says I dont have compatible hardware so I tried a workaround I saw in a Youtube video that bypassed that first scan but even after I got through the license agreement and picked what I wanted to install the installation always failed.
I tried installing the drivers manually through device manager but my motherboard doesn't realize it's pregnant with my GPU because its not listed, not even under another name or if I try to show hidden devices.
I tried to check my PCIe settings in BIOS (CMOS Setup in my case) but there's no settings about PCIe slots in there, just an enalbed onboard graphics controller thats greyed out so I can't change or even highlight it. I then flashed my BIOS but still nothing new. I tried to upgrade from Legacy BIOS to UEFI but after converting from MBR to GPT there was no option in my BIOS or boot menu to boot to UEFI. I had to reset my pc completely and start all over again.
Now here I am much more knowledgable about computers than I was before but very demoralized and tired. Was this GPU a waste? PLEASE HELP!

Jul 17, 2018
My monitor can only be connected via a VGA cable but my GPU uses a DVI so I’m using a VGA to DVI adapter. I had it ordered from Amazon shortly after I got the GPU so it’s brand new

What exact adapter did you get? You need an active DVI to VGA adapter, that is NOT the same as a VGA to DVI adapter

DSzymborski

Titan

Did you specifically buy an *active* DVI to VGA adapter? GTX 1050s have DVI-D ports, not DVI-I, so there's no analog signal included, only digital, so you have to have an active adapter or your monitor can't do anything with the signal.

Again, What is the EXACT adapter? It is not just an issue of getting the right connectors. You need an ACTIVE converter, which basically takes the digital output of your graphics card and converts it to an analog signal that your monitor can use. It is NOT a straight pass-thru adapter that you need , but a converter to actually change the format of your video signal.

Looks exactly like or is exactly the same converter?

Jul 17, 2018
I’m not sure, when I received it it was in a small plastic bag in the classic yellow Amazon envelope. But what you’re saying is that even though they may look the same, this doesn’t mean that the adapter I have is active? If that’s the case I’ll look into this more in the morning, thanks for the help though! Hopefully the adapter is the issue...

DSzymborski

Titan

It may not be, but we have to eliminate things like this first.

Jul 17, 2018
So I tried plugging my hard drive into my TV with an HDMI via the GPUs HDMI slot and still no signal. I also looked at the adapter I have more closely and unlike the adapter in the link mine has the brand name BENFEI on the VGA part but judging from what Greeko85 said it may not be active.

TRENDING THREADS