Question I have tried everything and my PC still crashes during games.

Feb 14, 2023
Hello, I am having some very annoying issues with my PC currently and this has been going on for weeks and I am getting annoyed.
Over the past 3 or so weeks, I have been getting crashes occurring on my pc resulting in the system restarting and bringing me back to the login screen of windows. However, recently, instead of crashing, the display just turns off, and does not come back on. All the lights in the pc remain on, the monitor just has no signal. I notice when this happen the red DRAM light comes on. Strangely, I cannot hold the power button to hard shut down the pc. It does nothing. I have to manually go to the back of my pc, and flip the power switch on the power supply, then the pc will turn off. This is getting very annoying frankly and any help would be extremely appreciated.

My specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700x
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB Series Intel XMP 32GB 6000mhz, running in dual channel (F5-6000J3636F16GA2-TZ5RK)
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090 Founder's Edition
Storage: M.2 nvme 1tb ssd, and two 1tb 7200 rpm hard drives.
Power: EVGA Supernova 1000w P5

What I have tried:
  • I have attempted to reseat the RAM, several times. Trying the pc with only one stick of ram (for both sticks), it does boot. Have not checked if it crashed on a single stick.
  • I have updated my Bios to Gigabyte's F3b
  • I have ran the windows memory diagnostic tool and it came back with no errors.
  • I have ran memtest 86, no errrors.
  • I have uninstalled my graphics driver with DDU and reinstalled them, and it still did not fix it.
  • I have put my pc on a lower power setting.
  • Enabled XMP
  • Disabled XMP (Currently on this).
  • Cleared CMOS
  • Reset BIOS to factory settings.
  • Reseated CPU
  • Reseat GPU
  • Bought a new 1000 watt power supply, up from an 850 watt, still crashes.

One thing I have noticed is my RAM's part number off Amazon is F5-6000J3636F16GA2-TZ5RK and it does not appear on Gigabyte's support list for my motherboard. However, if I go on G.skill's website and find my memory, there is two part numbers, one being mine from amazon (F5-6000J3636F16GA2-TZ5RK) and one being the other one on G.skill's site (F5-6000J3636F16GA2-TZ5RK). Oddly this 2nd part number is on Gigabyte's support list. So is my memory not compatible? Please help.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Bought a new 1000 watt power supply, up from an 850 watt, still crashes.
In retrospect, you're actually advised to use a PSU higher than 1KW in order to avoid transient load spikes courtesy of the RTX3090.

I have updated my Bios to Gigabyte's F3b
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B650-AORUS-ELITE-AX-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios
You have one more BIOS pending update...i.e, to F3, (Update AMD AGESA 1.0.0.4), give that a try and see what you experience. Also which slots are the rams populating on the motherboard?

Feb 14, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Bought a new 1000 watt power supply, up from an 850 watt, still crashes.
In retrospect, you're actually advised to use a PSU higher than 1KW in order to avoid transient load spikes courtesy of the RTX3090.

I have updated my Bios to Gigabyte's F3b
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B650-AORUS-ELITE-AX-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios
You have one more BIOS pending update...i.e, to F3, (Update AMD AGESA 1.0.0.4), give that a try and see what you experience. Also which slots are the rams populating on the motherboard?

I updated to F3 and still got a crash.
My rams are populating A2 and B2, what the motherboard says to fill first.

Feb 14, 2023
Yes, I did. Still crashing.

In my event viewer I am getting error code 41: "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." and error code 6008: "The previous system shutdown at 10:30:52 PM on ‎2/‎14/‎2023 was unexpected."

Feb 16, 2023
Ok, after fully installing and resetting windows, it crashed on the desktop while installing apps. It is no longer just crashing in games.
try to disable CPB, core performance boost on bios.
and disable PBO, precission boost overdrive on bios setting.
then save config, reboot and see if the crash still persist or not.

if i am not mistaken, it is similar to turbo boost feature on intel cpu.
perhaps the automatic overclock going too far, and your system become unstable and keep crashing.

correct me if i am wrong.

Last edited:
I have had people disable CPU's C-states as a workaround.
But the root cause of the problem turned out to be old copies of overclocking programs.
(or sometimes more than one copy of a overclocking program running)

sometimes you can see this if you download and run microsoft autoruns64
then look at the list of drivers. If you have two copies of one driver loaded from different directories then the microsoft windows loader will detect the driver load collision and will load the second driver at some kernel point address offset.
ie the driver names will look like

MyDriver.sys (first loaded copy)
MyDriver_fffffffffa838904.sys (second loaded copy)

anyway I see this several times a year in debug dumps.

normally when I see this problem, I recommend removing overclock software and doing CPU chipset updates. Then I check the BIOS version and make sure the CPU version is supported. Often get this problem when CPU with a updated cpu speed is installed and the overclock software is older than the CPU release date. (over clock software underclocks the CPU since it does not know about the new CPU speed defaults) Happens a lot after new cpus of the same liine but faster clock speed are released.