[SOLVED] I have two 120mm x 360mm rads. Would 4 Noctua NF-A14 plus 2 NF-F12's be better then 6 NF-F12's

tsrnc2

Prominent
Dec 30, 2018
The NF-F12 is 120mm the NF-A14 is 140mm. Both are designed with static pressure fans but the NF-F12 more so. Would the extra size make up the difference? Would the use of the 140-120 adapter increase static pressure?

Solution
So the reason for 140mm fans on a 120mm radiator is cost. Currently nf-f12 ippc(120mm fan) sells for around 2(two) to 3(three) times as much around $50 to $75 on Amazon and eBay currently for the 3000 rpm model. $25 for the nf-a14 ippc (140mm fan) 3000 rpm model. So if nf-a14 would work I would prefer that.
Noctua IPPC? Oh, please no, don't do that. I've been there already - ran with a bunch of NF-F12s and NF-A14s for a little over a year, to sate my curiosity and for experimental reasons.
They are a waste of money in a home PC. Server fans, ventilation fan for mining rigs/farms located away from you and others, sure - you know, for Industrial applications as Noctua states.

Those fans are amazing(power), don't get me...

tsrnc2

Prominent
Dec 30, 2018
NF-A14 wouldn't fit directly on a 360mm rad...

Also, you need to know the specs of the 2 radiators. Some manufacturers tell you in the product listing what kind of fans work best.
The radiators are EKWB EK-CoolStream Classic Se 360. The FPI is 14 and they are standard slim. Yes 140mm fan don't fit directly, that's why I would have 140mm to 120mm adapters. These adapters may increase static pressure at the expense of throughput however I don't know enough about that.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
EKWB EK-CoolStream Classic Se 360
16 FPI, actually - either way, moderately dense fin stack. The NF-F12s should be fine then.

Yes 140mm fan don't fit directly, that's why I would have 140mm to 120mm adapters. These adapters may increase static pressure at the expense of throughput however I don't know enough about that.
Depends on how much resistance is present, i.e., your chassis. The push fan is going to be doing the bulk of the work.

tsrnc2

Prominent
Dec 30, 2018
So the reason for 140mm fans on a 120mm radiator is cost. Currently nf-f12 ippc(120mm fan) sells for around 2(two) to 3(three) times as much around $50 to $75 on Amazon and eBay currently for the 3000 rpm model. $25 for the nf-a14 ippc (140mm fan) 3000 rpm model. So if nf-a14 would work I would prefer that.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Noctua IPPC? Oh, please no, don't do that. I've been there already - ran with a bunch of NF-F12s and NF-A14s for a little over a year, to sate my curiosity and for experimental reasons.
They are a waste of money in a home PC. Server fans, ventilation fan for mining rigs/farms located away from you and others, sure - you know, for Industrial applications as Noctua states.

Those fans are amazing(power), don't get me wrong, but if you don't actually USE that extra 1000-1500rpm, then they are wasted on you.
I was curious to see what they offered over the normal fans, as well as how loud they got - those Youtube videos don't do them any justice!
They do not improve overall thermals by much, considering you get a jet sitting next to you...
I used them to find a slightly higher overclock; I succeeded, but once I did, I found myself using that extra horsepower less and less.
Now, I have these 3000rpm IPPC fans that I run like they were the regular Noctuas because I no longer have a purpose or reason to run them like that anymore - that, and the noise(at max rpm) was finally starting to bother me.

Solution