Question I have two different builds, and I want other peoples opinion on which I should pick or things I should change.

Nov 21, 2022
Okay so like I said in the thread title I've got two builds here that I want peoples opinion on. To be specific I'd love to get peoples opinion on which of the two I should get, and on any changes that you think I should make. I should also mention that I have a $1500 budget with about a $100 worth of breathing room in case it goes over $1500, and that I'm looking to run my pc at 1440p. As for why one build uses Ryzen 5 and the other Ryzen 7; I just wanted to see how far I could take my pc while staying in my budget. So to be clear I'm more than willing to go back to Ryzen 5, if it's more beneficial for me. Oh this is also my first time ever building a pc.

Okay this is the first build which someone put together for me: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/64CR6r

This is the second one that I put together myself; just to see what I could do after deep diving into pc building the past few days: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4MRrXy

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Build 1 just has a better balance going overall.
Not too much I'd change from it... trim some fat with the cost of the case(Deepcool CL500 4F, Fractal Design Focus 2 RGB or Lian Li Lancool 215) and squeeze in a 5600X.

Build 2's issues - because that's the one you tried to put together yourself - are:
1)120mm AIO/CLC in a non small form factor case. If a tower air cooler can fit, throw 120mm in a pit.
2)RX 6800XT in the other build should beat the pants off RTX 3060, unless you utilize CUDA exclusive applications.
3)Case looks like quite the hotbox and only comes with 1 fan. The Fractal case from the other build gives you 3.
4)Can't seem find any reviews on that psu, so component quality is an unknown. 500w probably stretching it a bit too.

Nov 21, 2022
Build 1 just has a better balance going overall.
Not too much I'd change from it... trim some fat with the cost of the case(Deepcool CL500 4F, Fractal Design Focus 2 RGB or Lian Li Lancool 215) and squeeze in a 5600X.

Build 2's issues - because that's the one you tried to put together yourself - are:
1)120mm AIO/CLC in a non small form factor case. If a tower air cooler can fit, throw 120mm in a pit.
2)RX 6800XT in the other build should beat the pants off RTX 3060, unless you utilize CUDA exclusive applications.
3)Case looks like quite the hotbox and only comes with 1 fan. The Fractal case from the other build gives you 3.
4)Can't seem find any reviews on that psu, so component quality is an unknown. 500w probably stretching it a bit too.

Okay first off thank you for the response, and for your first point on the 2nd build do you mean that a tower air cooler is better than a AIO for the size case that I got or the parts that I got. I also have a question for the third point, is it just a good rule of thumb to get three fans instead of less and how did you figure out it only had one fan. Because I didn't see the number of fans listed anywhere on the site or is it something I just have to search up.

Nov 21, 2022
First one because it has a better graphics card. Split the difference and get his build but swap the 5600x for a 5700x.

However you should consider a system with something like an i5 12400 cpu and a b660 board.

Thank you for the reply, and I have two questions. The first is if I change to a 5700x do I have to change any of the other parts. As for my second question is the system that you recommended just better or is it somethingelse.

Reactions: Why_Me

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
for your first point on the 2nd build do you mean that a tower air cooler is better than a AIO for the size case that I got or the parts that I got.
Not quite like that.
Specifically pertaining to 120mm AIO/CLC, what you get for the cost is horrid. There are good tower air coolers that perform just as well and can be had for as much or less.
The only time 120mm AIO/CLC can 'compete' with tower air is when tower air can't fit, and that doesn't really happen until small form factor.

for the third point, is it just a good rule of thumb to get three fans instead of less and how did you figure out it only had one fan.
I wouldn't consider it a rule of thumb, but when a case already comes with a few, it can save you a few bucks on having to add some more yourself, or at least hold it off for a later time.
Manufacturers can get fans for much cheaper than we can, and some of the preinstalled fans are pretty good.
I looked up reviews on that Cooler Master case - they mention just a single fan.

Nov 21, 2022
Not quite like that.
Specifically pertaining to 120mm AIO/CLC, what you get for the cost is horrid. There are good tower air coolers that perform just as well and can be had for as much or less.
The only time 120mm AIO/CLC can 'compete' with tower air is when tower air can't fit, and that doesn't really happen until small form factor.

I wouldn't consider it a rule of thumb, but when a case already comes with a few, it can save you a few bucks on having to add some more yourself, or at least hold it off for a later time.
Manufacturers can get fans for much cheaper than we can, and some of the preinstalled fans are pretty good.
I looked up reviews on that Cooler Master case - they mention just a single fan.

Okay thank you for the feedback.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Thank you for the reply, and I have two questions. The first is if I change to a 5700x do I have to change any of the other parts. As for my second question is the system that you recommended just better or is it somethingelse.

I don’t think you’d have to change anything else the only issue I could see you having is potentially needing to update a bios, but you have that possibility on any of those amd builds. If they are newer stock boards then hopefully they should have an updated bios already.

The reason I suggested an Intel system, I’m an amd user myself btw, but socket am4 is basically a dead platform, so you won’t have many upgrade options except to go to more cores. If you go to an Intel 12th generation for example you’d have the option of going to 13th generation later. But if you wanted to spend a little extra just pick up an i5 13600k from the get go. However if you buy a 600 series board, be sure it has a feature called q flash because you’ll almost certainly need a bios update.

That said, a 13600k would be a great cpu. I’ve got a ryzen 9 5900x in my pc currently, and was looking at benchmarks. It appears the 13600k is just ahead of my 5900x which is closer to top of the line for socket am4. If I were needing a new board and cpu I’d probably be looking at a 13th gen i5 or i7.

Nov 21, 2022
I don’t think you’d have to change anything else the only issue I could see you having is potentially needing to update a bios, but you have that possibility on any of those amd builds. If they are newer stock boards then hopefully they should have an updated bios already.

The reason I suggested an Intel system, I’m an amd user myself btw, but socket am4 is basically a dead platform, so you won’t have many upgrade options except to go to more cores. If you go to an Intel 12th generation for example you’d have the option of going to 13th generation later. But if you wanted to spend a little extra just pick up an i5 13600k from the get go. However if you buy a 600 series board, be sure it has a feature called q flash because you’ll almost certainly need a bios update.

That said, a 13600k would be a great cpu. I’ve got a ryzen 9 5900x in my pc currently, and was looking at benchmarks. It appears the 13600k is just ahead of my 5900x which is closer to top of the line for socket am4. If I were needing a new board and cpu I’d probably be looking at a 13th gen i5 or i7.

So similar question as last time, if I were to switch to a 13600k and change the motherboard would I need to change the rest of the parts as well. Also I was told that I need Windows 10 or 11 and that I could get it for free. But I'm not really sure how, so if you know how it'd be much appreciated; that being said I don't mind just buying it.

if I were to switch to a 13600k and change the motherboard would I need to change the rest of the parts as well. Also I was told that I need Windows 10 or 11 and that I could get it for free. But I'm not really sure how, so if you know how it'd be much appreciated; that being said I don't mind just buying it.

List the specific parts you are thinking of combining with the 13600K so we don't mislead you.

Some motherboards will accept DDR 4. Some will accept DDR 5. But they won't accept both.

The last I heard, you can still upgrade to Windows 10 if you have a legitimate activated Windows 7 license. Are you on Windows 7 now?

Nov 21, 2022
List the specific parts you are thinking of combining with the 13600K so we don't mislead you.

Some motherboards will accept DDR 4. Some will accept DDR 5. But they won't accept both.

The last I heard, you can still upgrade to Windows 10 if you have a legitimate activated Windows 7 license. Are you on Windows 7 now?

I don't have any specific parts or motherboard in mind rn, so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. As for the Windows thing, this is my first pc and outside of that all I have is a Lenovo CT-x636f that came with Chrome OS. So I'm not on Windows and I don't think I have any device that does have it.

I was told that I need Windows 10 or 11 and that I could get it for free. But I'm not really sure how, so if you know how it'd be much appreciated; that being said I don't mind just buying it.

An ordinary home user will have trouble getting Windows free from any legitimate source. There may be special cases....like educational licenses or via an employer. I haven't kept up with that. But not for the standard civilian.

You can try as many illegitimate sources as you care to and see what happens. Maybe you get lucky. Maybe you don't.

Amazon direct or Newegg direct are likely legit. Microsoft direct also. And a few others. The lower the price, the more suspicious I would be. I'd expect to pay over 100 dollars somewhere.

Ebay can be a shaky source.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813144523
MSI PRO B660-A DDR4 $139.99

https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i5-12400f-core-i5-12th-gen/p/N82E16819118360
Intel Core i5-12400F $176.98

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-core-i5-12400-review

if I were to switch to a 13600k and change the motherboard would I need to change the rest of the parts as well.

As a general proposition.....CPU and motherboard must be totally compatible. Changing one can force you to change the other, particularly if not of the same "generation". Be very careful here.

Power supplies and drives can usually be kept across generations.

RAM can be tricky. It needs to be compatible with the specific motherboard.

CPU coolers can usually be kept when changing motherboards, but you may be required to get an adapter so the cooler will mount properly.

Video cards can usually be kept when changing boards.

But if you are building from the ground up, you need to list a FULL repeat FULL list of parts to be sure you aren't making a significant mistake.

Cases are usually industry standard and don't need to be changed, but certain pre-built cases can be a headache. Airflow and build quality can vary widely.

Nov 21, 2022
An ordinary home user will have trouble getting Windows free from any legitimate source. There may be special cases....like educational licenses or via an employer. I haven't kept up with that. But not for the standard civilian.

You can try as many illegitimate sources as you care to and see what happens. Maybe you get lucky. Maybe you don't.

Amazon direct or Newegg direct are likely legit. Microsoft direct also. And a few others. The lower the price, the more suspicious I would be. I'd expect to pay over 100 dollars somewhere.

Ebay can be a shaky source.

If that's the case, then I'll just buy it legit. Since I was really only interested in getting it for free because someone said I could, which would save me some money and thank you for the response.

If that's the case, then I'll just buy it legit. Since I was really only interested in getting it for free because someone said I could, which would save me some money and thank you for the response.

Unless you have a very specific requirement, there's likely no need for you to buy Windows Pro. Windows Home is fine.

I wouldn't pay extra to get Windows 11 since you can upgrade 10 to 11 at no charge. But if the prices are close, you may as well go with 11 rather than go through the 10 to 11 upgrade process. Not a big deal.

Nov 21, 2022
As a general proposition.....CPU and motherboard must be totally compatible. Changing one can force you to change the other, particularly if not of the same "generation". Be very careful here.

Power supplies and drives can usually be kept across generations.

RAM can be tricky. It needs to be compatible with the specific motherboard.

CPU coolers can usually be kept when changing motherboards, but you may be required to get an adapter so the cooler will mount properly.

Video cards can usually be kept when changing boards.

But if you are building from the ground up, you need to list a FULL repeat FULL list of parts to be sure you aren't making a significant mistake.

Cases are usually industry standard and don't need to be changed, but certain pre-built cases can be a headache. Airflow and build quality can vary widely.

Okay I'll keep this in mind going forward, but I think I'll keep what I got. Except for maybe getting a 5600x or 5700x and a different case after factoring in the Windows. That way I don't have to change to much, since I'm honestly a little "pc built" out. That being said I'm gonna keep learning more and building pc's(that I won't be buying but just practicing so that I get better, which I'm hoping will work) especially if I plan to build things myself in the future. If you have anything you'd like like too add please do, if not then thanks for all the advice and help.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2022
Unless you have a very specific requirement, there's likely no need for you to buy Windows Pro. Windows Home is fine.

I wouldn't pay extra to get Windows 11 since you can upgrade 10 to 11 at no charge. But if the prices are close, you may as well go with 11 rather than go through the 10 to 11 upgrade process. Not a big deal.

Understood, I'll look into the prices and then decide and thank you for all the help.

TRENDING THREADS