[SOLVED] I have two hdd from different pc with windows 10 install.

vampelle

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
my desktop lenovo m92p. Hdd on Sata 1 and ssd on sata 2
I have installed windows 10 pro 64 bit on my 2 tb HDD as fresh and using it even now, with 2 partitions (windows and storage).
I have 512gb SSD from my hp laptop with 2 partitions (windows 10 pro 64 bit n storage), but with a different account linked with that windows 10 and I want to use it with my existing HDD on the same desktop.
now I try to change from F12, it give an issue and restarts on my main hdd.

i don't want to fresh install on the SSD, as just in case, I get the laptop repaired or shift to another PC, I want it easily move rather than downloading all the updates, games, and programs again.

Solution
I concur . . windows 10 on an drive installed on one PC is NOT going to play nicely, or at all, if you swap the drive to another machine.

It's not just about the software installed - Windows 10 is expecting the exact hardware from the original system running exactly the same way.

You will be fruitlessly chasing down instability problems forever by swapping the drive with a Windows install from one machine to the next. It's just begging for frustration.

kanewolf

Titan
my desktop lenovo m92p. Hdd on Sata 1 and ssd on sata 2
I have installed windows 10 pro 64 bit on my 2 tb HDD as fresh and using it even now, with 2 partitions (windows and storage).
I have 512gb SSD from my hp laptop with 2 partitions (windows 10 pro 64 bit n storage), but with a different account linked with that windows 10 and I want to use it with my existing HDD on the same desktop.
now I try to change from F12, it give an issue and restarts on my main hdd.

i don't want to fresh install on the SSD, as just in case, I get the laptop repaired or shift to another PC, I want it easily move rather than downloading all the updates, games, and programs again.
I "want" to be invisible. It isn't happening. Same thing with being able to shift bootable Windows disks between very different hardware. It isn't happening.

Reactions: King_V

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I concur . . windows 10 on an drive installed on one PC is NOT going to play nicely, or at all, if you swap the drive to another machine.

It's not just about the software installed - Windows 10 is expecting the exact hardware from the original system running exactly the same way.

You will be fruitlessly chasing down instability problems forever by swapping the drive with a Windows install from one machine to the next. It's just begging for frustration.

Reactions: vampelle
Solution