Question I have two identical Hynix M2 drives in my PC but they benchmark at different speeds ?

mrjenkins44

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2015
I have two SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIe NVMe Gen4 in a Gigabyte Aorus Elite x670 AX motherboard. Both are in M2 slots on the mobo.

There are no other drives.

For some reason, the one with Windows on it clocks in at 2,637 MB/s and the 2nd one at 3,500 MBs. I am using UserBenchmark.

They both have about 1.3 TB free space.

Is there any particular reason once is scoring lower than the other? The slower one reads at 456% to 557% of the faster one. It says it is performing below expectations wile the other is performing as expected.

I tried the test multiple times, on different days, and after rebooting, and it keeps coming back the same.

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
If I've got hold of the correct user guide, the block diagram for the motherboard shows four M.2 drives.
M2A_CPU and M2B_CPU are driven direct from the AM5 CPU.
M2C_SB is driven from the first chipset
M2D_SB is driven from the second cascaded chipset.

I would expect there to be speed differences across the four M.2 sockets. Which sockets were you using?
At a guess, I'd say the CPU sockets would be faster than the chipset sockets.

gb_x670_axblock.jpg

I have two SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIe NVMe Gen4 in a Gigabyte Aorus Elite x670 AX motherboard. Both are in M2 slots on the mobo.

There are no other drives.

For some reason, the one with Windows on it clocks in at 2,637 MB/s and the 2nd one at 3,500 MBs. I am using UserBenchmark.

They both have about 1.3 TB free space.

Is there any particular reason once is scoring lower than the other? The slower one reads at 456% to 557% of the faster one. It says it is performing below expectations wile the other is performing as expected.

I tried the test multiple times, on different days, and after rebooting, and it keeps coming back the same.
Swap slots see if it makes a diff.

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
As a final test before returning the slow drive for replacement, you could try swapping the drives over between M2A and M2B, just to prove it's not socket related.