[SOLVED] I have two option left for fixing up Windows but I'm wondering if one is even possible

Jun 14, 2020
I ran a cleaner on my PC a few days ago and it must have deleted an important windows file because now my PC won't boot into windows. Ive tried about every fix I can find and nothing has worked. I didn't back up any of my data so I'm getting a new hard drive to copy the data from my original and save all my apps and files. I thought that I would copy the data from the original drive over to the new one at first but Im wondering if it would be possible to install windows on the new drive and if that would preserve all my files on the original?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
take the old disk out. install windows to the new hard drive.
plug the old disk back and copy your file.

Indeed.

Personally recommend getting one of the desktop USB style docks that fit the 2.5/3.5 drives and utilize it (after the fresh install on the new drive) to access the old drive and get files off.
Putting both drives in and booting could result in it thinking there is a dual boot situation.

Jun 14, 2020
Indeed.

Personally recommend getting one of the desktop USB style docks that fit the 2.5/3.5 drives and utilize it (after the fresh install on the new drive) to access the old drive and get files off.
Putting both drives in and booting could result in it thinking there is a dual boot situation.
Yeah, that makes sense. I'm not sure if I have one but I might get one. If I dont have one and I set the boot to the new hdd in bios could it still think that its a dual boot? Thanks for all the help!

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks so much!!! I might just keep the old files on the old one as long as everything is preserved!
Installing Windows means that most applications will have to be reinstalled. You have a clean Windows registry with the new install. That version of Windows doesn't have any knowledge of previously installed applications.
IF you only have the new disk connected (and I would recommend a 500GB SSD) when you do the windows install, you will be pretty safe. Do the install, system drivers, and windows updates, THEN power down and connect your data drive".

Jun 14, 2020
Installing Windows means that most applications will have to be reinstalled. You have a clean Windows registry with the new install. That version of Windows doesn't have any knowledge of previously installed applications.
IF you only have the new disk connected (and I would recommend a 500GB SSD) when you do the windows install, you will be pretty safe. Do the install, system drivers, and windows updates, THEN power down and connect your data drive".
Thanks so much for clarifying everything! It kind of sucks that I'll have to reinstall everything but I guess reinstalling drivers and stuff will help out my PC. Ive saved many clips with Shadowplay. Will those be saved?

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks so much for clarifying everything! It kind of sucks that I'll have to reinstall everything but I guess reinstalling drivers and stuff will help out my PC. Ive saved many clips with Shadowplay. Will those be saved?
Sure, data and personal files can be saved. The PLAYER for those clips may have to be reinstalled, but the data files shouldn't be deleted, unless you do something like format your old disk. DON'T do that ... :)

Jun 14, 2020
Sure, data and personal files can be saved. The PLAYER for those clips may have to be reinstalled, but the data files shouldn't be deleted, unless you do something like format your old disk. DON'T do that ... :)
Thanks Again! Ive been meaning to edit them and I'm glad they wont be lost. I apologize, I have one more question. Even if I have to reinstall the apps because the Windows registry doesn't recognize them, will they still appear in the files of the old HDD? I have this weird paranoia/Ocd and want to make sure that all the apps and stuff still appear to be there.

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks Again! Ive been meaning to edit them and I'm glad they wont be lost. I apologize, I have one more question. Even if I have to reinstall the apps because the Windows registry doesn't recognize them, will they still appear in the files of the old HDD? I have this weird paranoia/Ocd and want to make sure that all the apps and stuff still appear to be there.
The reinstalled apps will appear wherever you install them. Remember your old disk will show up with a different drive letter. Your new drive will be "C:". This is why I recommend a 500GB SSD. The crucial MX500 is an excellent choice and will provide performance improvements over an HDD.