I have two Ram sticks but CPU-Z says that i'm running single channel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

teenage

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017
I don't understand RAM much at all, but i noticed that when i went into task manager, that the 100% consumption rate of my RAM would be 4gb. This led me onto searching about it, to discover something about single and dual channel RAM setups. I have two RAM sticks, and only two slots on my motherboard, but on CPU-Z apparently it's running as single channel? I'm confused to say the least. How do i make it a dual channel setup to increase maximum rates to 8gb?

Solution
Make sure both RAM sticks are firmly inserted into the DIMM slots on the motherboard. You may want to remove the RAM and re-seat it. Do this with the computer turned OFF. It appears that your system is only seeing one stick of RAM. Could be a loose connection, bad RAM stick or bad DIMM slot.

In CPU-Z on the SPD tab, can you click on the Memory Slot Selection to toggle between Slot 1 and Slot 2?

Edit: Like this.

AozZLAq.png
Setting ram to run as dual-channel is normally done in the BIOS. You will have to search around in the BIOS because they use different terms. Check your motherboard's manual for a description of the BIOS functions.

Does Task Manager see all 8GB? Are you running a 64 bit version of Windows? 32bit versions are limited to using 4GB (actually a little bit less).

teenage

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017

I have 64 bit windows. I have been in the BIOS but there is no option to change to dual-channel mode, unless it's worded weirdly or something?

teenage

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017

It says i'm using 1 of 4 slots i'm confused

YS1CS

Make sure both RAM sticks are firmly inserted into the DIMM slots on the motherboard. You may want to remove the RAM and re-seat it. Do this with the computer turned OFF. It appears that your system is only seeing one stick of RAM. Could be a loose connection, bad RAM stick or bad DIMM slot.

In CPU-Z on the SPD tab, can you click on the Memory Slot Selection to toggle between Slot 1 and Slot 2?

Edit: Like this.

AozZLAq.png

Solution

DSzymborski

Titan
I know this is kinda old but, I'm also having this problem. In the memory tab of Cpu z it says single channel but in the SPD tab I can view both slots. I really need help, and thanks in advance

The place to ask a question is in a new thread, with a detailed description of the history of your problem and your full specs, not in someone's old thread describing their problem from 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS