[SOLVED] I have upgraded RAM in Lenovo g560 laptop to 6GB but only 2.93GB is usable ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
legacy doesn't restrict ram, its because windows is 32 bit that is stopping that.
If you install 64bit version of windows as legacy you can still use more ram

I have used 16gb with legacy boot before. 64bit versions can use over 100gb of ram in many cases. Obviously restricted by hardware.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums!

Mixing RAM that did not come as a single KIT containing 2 or 4 sticks is not advisable. But it seems not to cause problems here in your case.

However, the problem here is you have a 32-bit Windows installed. You need to do a clean installation of a 64-bit Windows to be able to use all your RAM.

Even if you change settings in msconfig it's the bootable RAM (as it is under BOOT tab in msconfig). Applications would not be able to map and use all the 6GB.

A 32 bit operating system can only use a max of 4gb.
That is the most that 32 bits can address.
That is your problem.
32 bit os needs a fixed area for hardware i/o.
That results in your 2.9gb being available.
There may be an option in the bios to relocate some of the hardware buffers above the 4gb line.

divyansh369

Prominent
Feb 26, 2022
Welcome to the forums!

Mixing RAM that did not come as a single KIT containing 2 or 4 sticks is not advisable. But it seems not to cause problems here in your case.

However, the problem here is you have a 32-bit Windows installed. You need to do a clean installation of a 64-bit Windows to be able to use all your RAM.

Even if you change settings in msconfig it's the bootable RAM (as it is under BOOT tab in msconfig). Applications would not be able to map and use all the 6GB.

Hello,
My laptop is Lenovo g560 is currently running on 32 bit when I am installing new windows it showing error (I am attaching image have a look https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ydegmEmQJ_FglBJ-uJXDEQ_up-Kd9jBw/view?usp=sharing

Colif

Win 11 Master
Laptop might have UEFI, its from 2012, but you probably better off on Legacy
https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd022767-overview-lenovo-g560

The error is telling you that the USB is formatted to work in UEFI boot method and your BIOS is currently in Legacy. If you swap to UEFI boot method it will work.
Other choice is make the installer to boot as MBR. You may not get error then.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
legacy doesn't restrict ram, its because windows is 32 bit that is stopping that.

I have used 16gb with legacy boot before. 64bit versions can use over 100gb of ram in many cases. Obviously restricted by hardware.

Solution

divyansh369

Prominent
Feb 26, 2022

But when I am trying to make it bootable device should I mbr bios

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
You see this error when your tried booting with bootable isntalltion media and install Windows right? A USB flash? That error is quite self-explanatory you're trying to boot and install Windows from a UEFI-ready bootable media (USB flash) while BIOS is in legacy mode with MBR at the beginning of the system /drive partition.

It also says you have created the install media using Rufus and have to adjust Rufus settings to create a bootable media with BIOS and MBR settings.
Hello,
My laptop is Lenovo g560 is currently running on 32 bit when I am installing new windows it showing error (I am attaching image have a look https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ydegmEmQJ_FglBJ-uJXDEQ_up-Kd9jBw/view?usp=sharing
Hey, sorry I was busy. I see you got it solved thanks to colif.

That 200MB difference is because system reserves some RAM for hardware and also probably some of it for the iGPU for display.

Colif

Win 11 Master
32bit systems restricted to at most 3.6gb, as the memory on the GPU & other hardware also has to use the limited memory addresses available, so the more vram you have, the less ram you can use.
64bit systems don't have these restrictions, the memory addresses allocated to most hardware is way above that used by ram, so a 64bit system with 4gb of ram would have a little more available to it. Maybe 3.9gb?

You will never get it all, even with 32gb of ram, for instance, I only (lol) have 31.7gb available. There is always some reserved for windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.