I have wifi speed of fifty however, when testing speed it on registers 8

Challenged500

Reputable
Jul 19, 2015
I had my wifi speed increased to 50, however when I do the speed test the download only registers 8 from my digistream x2; all though the test on my pc (in another room), and laptop only 19 in the same room as the tv? what can I do?

Solution
Connect a pc directly to the modem with a network cable. Test speed now should be 50. If not call you isp.
Next remove the network cable from the modem and reconnect your router and plug the network cable into the router and restest. Speed should still be 50.
if not then get a new router.

For wireless - speeds are detemined by the "slowest link in the chain" and distance / signal quality from the router. You can have a 600 speed class N router but if you wirelsss in your laptop in class B then class B speed is all you will get. If you have a 150 speed class N adapter then 150 is your max...

And Max speed doesnt mean you will get it. Other factors influence speed as well. An N150 adapter on a real slow usb will still be real slow...

popatim

Titan
Connect a pc directly to the modem with a network cable. Test speed now should be 50. If not call you isp.
Next remove the network cable from the modem and reconnect your router and plug the network cable into the router and restest. Speed should still be 50.
if not then get a new router.

For wireless - speeds are detemined by the "slowest link in the chain" and distance / signal quality from the router. You can have a 600 speed class N router but if you wirelsss in your laptop in class B then class B speed is all you will get. If you have a 150 speed class N adapter then 150 is your max...

And Max speed doesnt mean you will get it. Other factors influence speed as well. An N150 adapter on a real slow usb will still be real slow. ("slowest link in the chain" rule again)

The Digistream uses class G and 8 is in proper range, just not great.
Your laptop getting 19 could be a good G or a poor N.

Solution