[SOLVED] I have Windows 10, in the middle of downloading Nvidia drivers screen goes black, after i restart, it shows the windows 10 log

Dec 27, 2018
Basically the title. I tried taking out my GPU and putting back in to no avail. And I cannot find any way to not up in safe mode.

Dec 27, 2018

I have an i7-8700k, ROG 2070, 16gbs of ram on a Z390mobo. The system was working, however, I transferred my hard drive from my old computer, which had all my stuff on it, to this one. It also had windows 10 installed on it. I don't know if that would cause problems.

Dec 27, 2018

I just booted it from my hard drive which windows was already installed. How do do a clean install? Don't you need to have access to the desktop? I can only go to BIOS.

stdragon

Admirable
Not sure if it will clear out the old device drivers, but you can always try resetting Windows 10 back to default while still preserving local profile data. Note: this will wipe out all program files and data within their own directories (like game saved data not already in the cloud).

Google "Reset your Windows 10 system with the Keep My Files option"

Otherwise, yeah, you'll have to backup your data manually then perform a format/reinstall of your drive with a bootable Windows 10 USB thumbdrive.

stdragon

Admirable
True. It doesn't always work. But as of the last few builds of Windows 10, I've had pretty good luck so far exercising that feature with laptops in the office. Though I've never attempted doing this post-OS-drive migration to another system.

Personally, if you're already on the current build of Windows 10 (v1809), go ahead and roll the dice. But if you're still on 1803, now's the time to perform a fresh install with 1809.

stdragon

Admirable
The problem is with the HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) involving previous drivers carried over from supporting older hardware. It's why it's regarded as never a good idea to just move the OS drive into another system.

Oh, I know, but once it's installed clean and they are having issues it's one option.

TRENDING THREADS