[SOLVED] I have windows 7 running on my SSD and have another SSD without a OS and want to install Win 10

Androshi

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2014
Hi guys I wanted to ask before I attempted anything, but for this scenario I have win 7 currently as my OS and I just received my win 10 installation disc and have another SSD on hand with nothing on it. Suppose after I disconnect my win 7 OS SSD and my hybrid drive that has other programs, I proceed to plug in only the new SSD and begin installing win 10 and successfully boot in.
  1. Can I install my hybrid drive back in (mainly just used to store other documents and games) without any conflicting issues with the win 10 SSD
  2. If I wanted to use my win 7 SSD instead of win 10 can I simply disconnect the win 10 SSD and connect the win 7 SSD back in without any conflicting issues?
That's about all I wanted to know before I just simply go ahead with installing a new OS if it's going to cause some sort of conflict. Thanks again!

Solution
No, because what I described to you is what I'm facing currently while attempting to install win 10 onto the new SSD
Then I would suspect your WIN 10 install thing is not quite right.

Create NEW USB or DVD to install from.

Lutfij

Titan
1| Yes, you can.
2| In order to Dual boot Windows OSes, you should have the new SSD populating the system without anything on it, alongside the Windows 7 SSD, then initiate the installer for Windows 10. You can choose to have the new OS install on the new SSD but please disconnect the HDD to make sure that the OS installs on the SSD.

Side note, whatever platform you're on, please make sure you're on the latest BIOS version prior to installing Windows 10. If you're only going to deal with one OS, best to disconnect the Windows 7 SSD and the HDD and have the drive you intend to work with Windows 10 connected, alone. Install the OS, necessary drivers(in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator), then power down, disconnect from wall and drop the HDD back into the system.

Hi guys I wanted to ask before I attempted anything, but for this scenario I have win 7 currently as my OS and I just received my win 10 installation disc and have another SSD on hand with nothing on it. Suppose after I disconnect my win 7 OS SSD and my hybrid drive that has other programs, I proceed to plug in only the new SSD and begin installing win 10 and successfully boot in.
  1. Can I install my hybrid drive back in (mainly just used to store other documents and games) without any conflicting issues with the win 10 SSD
  2. If I wanted to use my win 7 SSD instead of win 10 can I simply disconnect the win 10 SSD and connect the win 7 SSD back in without any conflicting issues?
That's about all I wanted to know before I just simply go ahead with installing a new OS if it's going to cause some sort of conflict. Thanks again!
Yes on all questions but if some programs are installed on otherdisk they may not work from both OSs and will have to be reinstalled on W10.
As for choosing which Windows to BOOT one way would be to choose it from BIOS but easier and better would be to use EasyBCD https://www.techspot.com/downloads/3112-easybcd.html install on disk you want to be primary /W7 or W10) and it will help you make BOOT Menu from which to choose. That's what I do.

Androshi

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2014
Yes on all questions but if some programs are installed on otherdisk they may not work from both OSs and will have to be reinstalled on W10.
As for choosing which Windows to BOOT one way would be to choose it from BIOS but easier and better would be to use EasyBCD https://www.techspot.com/downloads/3112-easybcd.html install on disk you want to be primary /W7 or W10) and it will help you make BOOT Menu from which to choose. That's what I do.

Thanks for the response, but it appears I face a new problem. I disconnected all my current SSD/HDD and only plugged in the empty new SSD to start installing win 10, and made sure to boot it up on that drive first, but it shows the win 10 logo for a split second and then shows me a blank screen with the symbol "_" continuously flashing on the top left corner. I waited a couple minutes to see if it's just taking some time to load in but nothing happened. I was installing using the OEM CD that I bought using my external CD drive if that matters at all.

Androshi

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2014
1| Yes, you can.
2| In order to Dual boot Windows OSes, you should have the new SSD populating the system without anything on it, alongside the Windows 7 SSD, then initiate the installer for Windows 10. You can choose to have the new OS install on the new SSD but please disconnect the HDD to make sure that the OS installs on the SSD.

Side note, whatever platform you're on, please make sure you're on the latest BIOS version prior to installing Windows 10. If you're only going to deal with one OS, best to disconnect the Windows 7 SSD and the HDD and have the drive you intend to work with Windows 10 connected, alone. Install the OS, necessary drivers(in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator), then power down, disconnect from wall and drop the HDD back into the system.

Thanks for the response, but it seems my win 10 installation disc isn't installing onto the new SSD due to said reason I have posted on this forum. thanks.

Androshi

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2014
Give us the details on this system.
Like...ALL the parts, make/model of everything.

Sure thing here's my specs:

CPU: Intel i5-8600k 3.6GHz
Motherboard: Z370 AORUS gaming 5
Ram: 16gb
SSD/HDD: Samsung EVO 860 1 Tb/ Seagate Hybrid 2 Tb
GPU: MSI 1660ti 6gb
PSU: Seasonic PRIME fanless TX-700

Androshi

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2014
So with ALL the other drives physically disconnected, and you try to install on this 870, what happens?

So with ALL other devices disconnected and with the 870 installed, with the external CD drive plugged in with the installation disc inside, it boots up showing my AORUS screen showing the shortcut buttons to boot menu etc. and then after that shows the win 10 blue logo in the middle for a split second and then disappears showing only this symbol "_" continuously blinking on the top left corner. (and yes I have changed the boot priority to the new SSD) hope this helps.

USAFRet

Titan
So with ALL other devices disconnected and with the 870 installed, with the external CD drive plugged in with the installation disc inside, it boots up showing my AORUS screen showing the shortcut buttons to boot menu etc. and then after that shows the win 10 blue logo in the middle for a split second and then disappears showing only this symbol "_" continuously blinking on the top left corner. (and yes I have changed the boot priority to the new SSD) hope this helps.
And at some point you completed the OS install on the 870?

USAFRet

Titan
No, because what I described to you is what I'm facing currently while attempting to install win 10 onto the new SSD

Solution

Androshi

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2014

Alright I'll try going with that and see what happens and report back. thanks

Androshi

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2014

Just to give a update, I was able to successfully install win 10 on my new SSD using the CD disc. It appears I just had to wait a bit longer than what I expected and it gave me the installation screen. As for my original question to this post, I was also able to load both OS fine via separate SSD's so another success. Thanks for all your help!