I heard a click. Now I'm freaking out! Computer wont turn on! Please respond!

Brandersnatcher

Reputable
Apr 9, 2014
I had just recently got my computer up and running.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3udlk

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro (OEM) (64-bit)

I had my OS on an SSD. I started to format my 2TB internal HDD, and knew it would take awhile. So, I went in the living room to watch t.v. while it did this. I heard a loud pop, or click. As if something dropped. I didn't think anything of it, as we have dogs and whatever (They weren't near the computer)

I went in the room to check the status of the format and my computer was off. My power plug was actually lifted out of the surge protector (No one was in there), and my motherboard no longer had my trusty green light showing it has power.

Anyone know what happened? How do I fix this? What's the worst case scenario? Someone please for the love of God give me some good news...I'm having a panic attack!

Solution
Power supply died maybe? It dosent sound likely as XFX is pretty good quality wise, try the paperclip method or try a different PSU in your rig.

Brandersnatcher

Reputable
Apr 9, 2014

I read to do a full format X=

The computer will not turn on.

Brandersnatcher

Reputable
Apr 9, 2014

Paperclip method failed. I have another psu, but I'm not sure of the wattage. Do I plug it into everything on the mobo to see what's damaged? Will XFX replace the product?

"Another option, does anything else work when plugged into the power strip?"
Yes, everything else is still working.

Brandersnatcher

Reputable
Apr 9, 2014

I put the build together yesterday. Installed the OS today. I got the parts in on Monday. Sooo...

Brandersnatcher

Reputable
Apr 9, 2014

the other PSU is 400watts. Which isn't enough to power my build. Should I still plug it into the mobo to see if I get the green light anyway?

And at this point, I should just contact XFX? Anything else?

I also had a CX500 die (though not that quickly). I did a routine reboot and it never came back on. I guess that's why the CX gets a bad name around here. Got an Antec replacement and no more troubles

If your mobo has onboard video you can take out the GPU and plug in everything else, to see if it starts and everything else works

Might as well try for peace of mind, if the connectors fit. You can also not plug into the GPU/remove it, and fans and HDD will spin up, so you know nothing else is broken.

I was a bit upset with the CX, as corsair is one of my favorite brands, as you can see in my rig. So I had to settle getting a TR2 to hold me over, since it died the day before I left for E3, bought the replacement in LA, that was a fun story to explain in the airport trying to bring a PSU on board...

Hi,
It may be only a 400W power supply, but it should work fine for booting up the PC just to see if it works, thus confirming the other power supply was bad.

Your Total Power consumption in idle is probably somewhere around 100 Watts.

The only hiccup might be not connecting the PCIe power connectors as I'm unsure what happens if the graphics card doesn't have them. I guess plug in whatever you have (i.e. 1x6-pin) and see what happens.

Or alternatively try a low-end graphics card if you have one.