Question i heloed a friend test his gpu and now my pc doesnt work

Mar 17, 2023
my friend asked me to test his rx 580 in my pc( it wasn’t working before) . after replacing my gpu with his the pc turned on but no display so we cam to the conclusion that it was broken. after he left i put mine back in and now the same thing happens(pc turns on bu no display) .im sure my monitor is working. what can i do?

NaClKnight

Prominent
Dec 7, 2022
Have you tried clearing the CMOS? There's usually a CMOS header on your MB you can short to reset the motherboard. Remember to unplug the PSU from the wall first, and remove the motherboard battery if you can see it

If the CPU has integrated graphics, try using that instead of the GPU to confirm that the rest of the build works

Are you getting any POST beeps when you power on your PC?

Mar 17, 2023
Have you tried clearing the CMOS? There's usually a CMOS header on your MB you can short to reset the motherboard. Remember to unplug the PSU from the wall first, and remove the motherboard battery if you can see it

If the CPU has integrated graphics, try using that instead of the GPU to confirm that the rest of the build works

im not getting any beeps. ill try clearing the cmos when i get home

Reactions: NaClKnight
Mar 17, 2023

thank you so much! i cleared the cmos and now it works

NaClKnight

Prominent
Dec 7, 2022
thank you so much! i cleared the cmos and now it works
I'm glad that worked! Clearing the CMOS should be done after any major part swap. If the motherboard expects one component and sees another, it may freak out like you saw.

If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to hit the trophy symbol on my post so everyone knows your problem was solved and you don't need more solutions/troubleshooting