[SOLVED] I hit my reset button while PC was shutting down.

Oct 2, 2020
I hit my reset button while PC was shutting down. Now it won't boot up properly. It shows the windows 10 logo with the loading circle beneath it. Then it says "Your device ran into to a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, then we'll restart for you." There's a bar code beneath that that I havent tried with "Stop code: BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFO" next to it. When it restarts again after that, the win logo screen says "Preparing system repair" and "Diagnosing your PC". Then it brings me to a blue screen that either says "Automatic RepairsYour PC did not start correctly
Press 'restart' to restart your PC, which can sometimes fix the problem. You can also press 'Advanced options' to try other options to repair your PC." OR its says
"Automatic Repair
Automatic Repair couldn't repair your PC
Press 'advanced options' to try other options to repair your PC or 'shutdown' to turn off your PC. Log file F:WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt. I would click on advanced options then continue to win 10 but it brings me back to the first problem after starting up. I would click on trouble shoot then advanced options and click startup repair, but that brings me back to the first problem. I'd try system restore, but my last restore point was from months ago. I'd try turn off you PC to wait a few minutes then try again, but it would bring me back to the first problem. I'd try chosing turn off again then turn of my PSU and wait a few, bit it has the same results. When it reboots again, I'd enter bios to try starting it from there, same issue. There's sometimes these weird purple and white lines that come across the screen for a sec while it starts up. Also also, when it restarts, my only hdd in my PC makes a very brief buzz noise. It has never done that before. Please help.

Solution
win 10- by default runs a mode called Fast startup. In this mode, instead of turning off when you shut down, it goes into a hibernate mode and saves half of its currently active drivers + a copy of kernel into ram, and the other half into hiberfil.sys. Now if you hit reset in the middle of a shutdown with this on you can cause problems. That would appear to be what happened here. As if it were off, hitting reset at shutdown would probably not do anything.

Log file F:WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt.

Seeing this makes it worse. As easiest fix for that is a clean install

Do you have an installer?
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

Do you...

Colif

Win 11 Master
win 10- by default runs a mode called Fast startup. In this mode, instead of turning off when you shut down, it goes into a hibernate mode and saves half of its currently active drivers + a copy of kernel into ram, and the other half into hiberfil.sys. Now if you hit reset in the middle of a shutdown with this on you can cause problems. That would appear to be what happened here. As if it were off, hitting reset at shutdown would probably not do anything.

Log file F:WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt.

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

Do you want to save anything off C drive?
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or another hdd

Once you have copied everything off the boot drive you want to save, follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

As for noise from hdd, lets just assume its windows problem for now?

Solution
Oct 2, 2020

boot from installer
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt

Once you have copied everything off the boot drive you want to save, follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

It says I need to delete the partition with windows on it. Obviously it's Drive 0 Partition 2: Windows. The problem is there are two other Drive 0 partitions. Drive 0 Partition 1: System Reserved System that's 579 mb mb with 544 mb free and Drive 0 Partition 3: System Reserved OEM (reserved) that's 500 mb with 69 mb free. What do I do with these? Do I just delete all three? The guide doesn't say anything about this.

Oct 2, 2020

boot from installer
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt

Thank you! Everything works just fine now! I should keep a win 10 installer handy more

Colif

Win 11 Master
when you get new ssd
  • remove hdd from pc
  • install windows
  • put hdd back into pc once you know it boots off the ssd
  • look in the bios boot order and make sure hdd not listed, remove it if it is. You don't want PC booting from it again.
  • Boot into windows.
  • you may need to take ownership of the files on the hdd but windows will offer that as soon as you try to open a folder.
  • copy anything on hdd you want to keep onto the ssd
you can leave windows on it if you like but it makes more sense to delete all of it and use hdd as a storage drive.

how to delete everything on hdd
from desktop go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now
this loads windows into a blue menu, you should recognise this

Pick troubleshoot
Pick advanced
Pick Command Prompt
Type diskpart and press enter

Type list disk and press enter

This will show the list of drives currently attached to PC, make note of the drive number of the drive you want to wipe

If Disk 1 is the drive you want to clear, type select 1) and press enter. A message will confirm it is selected

Warning: Diskpart Erase/Clean will permanently erase/destroy all data on the selected drive. Please be certain that you are erasing the correct disk.

Once you sure its right disk, type Clean and press enter

The Command Prompt window will display the message "DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk". Close out of the Command Prompt window by clicking the red X in the upper right hand corner.

this leaves the hdd blank, you will need to use disk management to format and partition the drives.