Question I honestly regret getting the 7800x3d. Can I return it to Amazon if I clean it up?

mrjenkins44

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2015
The game gives insanely high frame rates, but causes so much jerking/hitching/fame dips that it just ruins the experience in most games. I am running it with a 3080ti. Even in old games like Skyrim it will randomly just "jerk", like a bunch of frames just got lost. Same with panning in Age of Empires. It's smooth during map panning, then it just randomly jerks.

My old i9 9900k gave a much smoother gameplay experience, even with less frames.

I completely regret it at this point and would just rather go the 13th gen intel path at this point.

I've always had bad experiences with AMD no matter what I buy from them (CPU's, video cards) and pretty much always got rock solid performance out of any intel products.

I feel dumb for jumping on the hype train against my intuition.

If I take the CPU out and clean it up with alcohol to where it looks new, will Amazon take it back?

Is it possible this problem will be fixed ever in the future?

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
The game gives insanely high frame rates, but causes so much jerking/hitching/fame dips that it just ruins the experience in most games. I am running it with a 3080ti. Even in old games like Skyrim it will randomly just "jerk", like a bunch of frames just got lost. Same with panning in Age of Empires. It's smooth during map panning, then it just randomly jerks.

My old i9 9900k gave a much smoother gameplay experience, even with less frames.

I completely regret it at this point and would just rather go the 13th gen intel path at this point.

I've always had bad experiences with AMD no matter what I buy from them (CPU's, video cards) and pretty much always got rock solid performance out of any intel products.

If I take the CPU out and clean it up with alcohol to where it looks new, will Amazon take it back?

Did you do a clean Windows install when you swapped motherboards?

D

Deleted member 2838871

The problem isn't AMD... the problem is your system. Something isn't right... be it Windows or something else related to your hardware.

I don't have any issues with my system. The performance is jaw dropping.

What hype train was that? That the 7800x3D was the best gaming CPU? Technically... it is.

Fix your system.

Reactions: drea.drechsler

mrjenkins44

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2015
Did you do a clean Windows install when you swapped motherboards?
Yes.
I don't have any issues with my system. The performance is jaw dropping.
What is your 7800x3d build?

Amazon will list the ending of the return window. When is that?
It looks like I have 30 days. I bought it last week. I will continue to work with it for the next two weeks and if nothing works, I'll return it all. Sucks cause I will have to take the entire system apart and send everything back.

D

Deleted member 2838871

What is your 7800x3d build?

I don't have a 7800x3D build... I have a 7950x3D build... upgraded from a 10900k build.

As others have said the CPU isn't the problem. There's a different issue that is the source of your problems. What you claim to be experiencing shouldn't be happening and I definitely wouldn't try to return the hardware because of it.

mrjenkins44

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2015
The "problem" is not that CPU.

What are the full specs of this system?
And, as asked above, did you do a full OS wipe and reinstall?

Yes, brand new hard drive and windows 11 install.​

Gigabyte x670 Elite Ax
G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB Series (AMD Expo) 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR5 6000 CL30-38-38-96 1.35V
SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIe NVMe Gen4
MSI MAG274QRX, 27" Gaming Monitor, 2560 x 1440 (QHD), Rapid IPS, 1ms, 240Hz, G-Sync Compatible
Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4

Reactions: Nathkrul
D

Deleted member 2838871

Yes, brand new hard drive and windows 11 install.​

Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4

Updated drivers? What are your CPU and GPU temps? Cooler correctly installed? That CPU is AM5 not AM4 so I hope that's a typo.

mrjenkins44

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2015
Updated drivers? What are your CPU and GPU temps? Cooler correctly installed? That CPU is AM5 not AM4 so I hope that's a typo.
It's for both AM4/AM5. That's just how Amazon lists it. The temps are pretty normal, 30-50s. Nothing crazy. The highest it ever got during benchmarking was like 75, but in games it only goes as high as 65 or less.

There are some settings in the BIOS that maybe I should look at?

I have XMP enabled, but should I also enable Low Latency support and XMP/EXPO High Bandwidth support?

AM4 and AM5 have the same mounting so that shouldn't be a concern.

Have you tried running an overlay like RivaTuner while you're playing a game to see if the hitches are reflected by a sudden spike or loss of GPU/CPU usage? (realistically anything that shows clocks/usage that you can view while gaming is fine)

If games are on another drive like perhaps SATA just check all the cabling. Also have you noticed any of this behavior happening outside of games?

DPC latency is always a potential here, but generally speaking try to narrow down where the issue might be before going this route especially on a brand new install.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's already disabled, you have a discrete gpu installed. The bios setting simply gives the option. Leave it enabled, it's open for use, but currently not in use.

Are the motherboard drivers installed? Or are you using just what Windows and gpu supplies? Many times Windows drivers are old and generic, they'll work but not perform, for instance the last revision of Sata SSD generic drivers was from 2006....

mrjenkins44

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2015
Ummm....I think it magically fixed itself.

I didn't change anything other than turning those RAM settings on in the BIOS.

I will mess with it more tomorrow and see what happens.

Reactions: Nathkrul

zx128k

Reputable

Test your RAM and make sure it stable.

zx128k

Reputable
Go here

Errors and timing and more. Make sure SoC is under 1.3 volts.

If tweaking memory timings fixes the issue, then you 100% need to be sure you are stable. Memory errors can corrupt data. You just need to run it long enough to be sure errors are a rare thing, i.e, a few hours without errors and temps are safe.

If you get errors then you will have to do the full set of tests when you fix it.