[SOLVED] I installed a Kingston A400 960GB SSD and its not showing up in device management but does in bios

Aug 29, 2020
Ive installed a ssd and now it hasn't showed up in window, only bios. i can see it in device manager but not disk management. ive tried a couple solutions from the site and nothing has worked so far and im stumped.

I should mention im new to ssd installation and havent formatted it or partitioned since i havent been able to access it in windows.

Last edited:
Solution
enter the bios and disable secure boot and enable CSM, save and restart right back into the bios and see if it's listed now.

Also check that your sata ports are in ahci mode. If they are in raid mode then you might need to configure/format the drive in the raid bios first.

popatim

Titan
Run Diskpart from an Admin level Command Prompt
enter in List Disk

Do you see the drive there?

If it's Ok to erase the whole drive then enter in select disk x (Where x is the number of the disk from list disk)
followed by clean all

if it cleans successfully then you can exit and relaunch disk management and be able to initialize it.

Reactions: Turtle Rig
Aug 29, 2020
Does it show up in "Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management"? Has it been formatted and partitioned?

It doesnt show up there and i havent been able to format or partition since it wont. unless theres something else im missing since this is my first time using a ssd.

Aug 29, 2020
Run Diskpart from an Admin level Command Prompt
enter in List Disk

Do you see the drive there?

If it's Ok to erase the whole drive then enter in select disk x (Where x is the number of the disk from list disk)
followed by clean all

if it cleans successfully then you can exit and relaunch disk management and be able to initialize it.

I only see my harddrive in the disk list and not the ssd

popatim

Titan
enter the bios and disable secure boot and enable CSM, save and restart right back into the bios and see if it's listed now.

Also check that your sata ports are in ahci mode. If they are in raid mode then you might need to configure/format the drive in the raid bios first.

Solution
Aug 29, 2020

They are in ahci mode and its listed in bios but ill still give it a shot.