Jun 7, 2020
Specs :

Motherboard : Foxconn H67A-S V2.0
RAM : Two 4GB DDR3L 1600
CPU : i3 2100 (old) | i5 3470 (new)
GPU : MSI GTX 650 Ti Twin Frozr III 2GB
PSU : Inter-Tech Energon EPS 550W
Storage : Two HDDs

So when I installed the new CPU, the fans spin but nothing shows up on screen, I tried resetting CMOS and it didn't work, I tried unplugging everything (All peripherals and cables) and I unplugged the graphics card as well and I unplugged one RAM stick and it still didn't work.

I reinstalled the old CPU and the PC worked fine.

The new CPU is used and the seller assured me that it works fine, I rechecked my motherboard's CPU support list and it says the CPU is supported, So I'm thinking that I probably need to update my BIOS but I don't want to do it without making sure that it is indeed the culprit, I never updated the BIOS before.

CPU support list : https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Foxconn/H67A-S.html

Lutfij

Titan
Did you make sure you performed a BIOS update prior to dropping in the latter model processor into the motherboard? You're going to have to update your BIOS in order to have the platform recognize the latter generation processor on that socket. Updating the BISO is advised even if you're not performing a CPU upgrade, the only time you're advised not to update the BIOS is when you know yourself that you can't do it...since a mishap in your BIOS update process, even with the wrong BIOS version can and will brick your motherboard.

FYI, you might want to change that PSU as well, if you want to protect the integrity of your system/upgrade.

Khalil4life

Reputable
Jun 7, 2020
Did you make sure you performed a BIOS update prior to dropping in the latter model processor into the motherboard? You're going to have to update your BIOS in order to have the platform recognize the latter generation processor on that socket. Updating the BISO is advised even if you're not performing a CPU upgrade, the only time you're advised not to update the BIOS is when you know yourself that you can't do it...since a mishap in your BIOS update process, even with the wrong BIOS version can and will brick your motherboard.

FYI, you might want to change that PSU as well, if you want to protect the integrity of your system/upgrade.

Are you sure that I need a BIOS update ? According to the website above, both CPUs are supported by the same BIOS version, so I need to like, reinstall that BIOS version again ?

Also, I will upgrade the PSU soon, Thanks for the advice.

Khalil4life

Reputable
Jun 7, 2020
Okay so I downloaded CPU-Z to check my motherboard's BIOS version and I found it to be this : https://ibb.co/x2svzVS

I tried googling and finding an update and I found an update called C34F1P02 and I downloaded, prepared a bootable FreeDOS USB flash drive, I unzipped the update file and copied "SYSBIOS" contents to the USB flash drive and applied the following CMD : AFUDOS C32F1P03.ROM /P /B /N /R1 /R2

And it gave me an error saying ROM File Size Does Not Match Existing BIOS Size.

I'm clueless right now, Any help please ?

Khalil4life

Reputable
Jun 7, 2020
My motherboard is Foxconn H67A-S V2.0 and the official website is down, I can't get official support and I can only get update files from unofficial sources.

So my current BIOS version is this : https://ibb.co/x2svzVS
And I'm trying to find a version called C3AF1P02 but I couldn't, I found instead files called C34F1P02 and C34F1P01 so I took the risk and tried flashing C34F1P01 using FreeDOS method (I unzipped the update file and copied "SYSBIOS" contents to the USB flash drive and applied the following CMD : AFUDOS C32F1P03.ROM /P /B /N /R1 /R2 ) and I got an error saying something like this : ROM File Size Does Not Match Existing BIOS Size.

And I'm not sure what to do, Can anyone help please ?

Lutfij

Titan
You need to update your BIOS from the BIOS screen itself or a utility, please don't do what you did with CMD, clearly you don't know what you're doing and can result in a bricked motherboard. I went through your motherboard manual using this URL, sadly the board is so old that you don't have an official site to source your BIOS version or utilities from. For the amount of hoops you're having to jump through in order to get a CPU upgrade, why don't you simply look at a 2nd generation i5 or even better, a 2nd generation i7? With your current BIOS version you're prevented going over to the 3rd generation of Intel's Core i processors.

Khalil4life

Reputable
Jun 7, 2020
You need to update your BIOS from the BIOS screen itself or a utility, please don't do what you did with CMD, clearly you don't know what you're doing and can result in a bricked motherboard. I went through your motherboard manual using this URL, sadly the board is so old that you don't have an official site to source your BIOS version or utilities from. For the amount of hoops you're having to jump through in order to get a CPU upgrade, why don't you simply look at a 2nd generation i5 or even better, a 2nd generation i7? With your current BIOS version you're prevented going over to the 3rd generation of Intel's Core i processors.

Thanks for the reply but the main problem is, I already bought the 3rd generation i5 lol

I guess you are right, Without official support I'm stuck with those 2nd generation CPUs so I'm going to just keep using my i3 until I sell the PC and buy a better motherboard.

Thanks again.