Question I installed a new RAM stick and my computer started having random crashes while playing games.

Jan 26, 2019
These are my specs -> https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YGr7fH
I had one RAM stick of the G.Skill Aegis and my computer was not running how I wanted it to be so I decided to get another RAM stick and my motherboard only has two RAM slots . The first RAM stick that I had was installed in the second RAM slot farthest from the CPU and when I got the new stick, I installed it in the slot closest to the CPU so both slots were taken up. When I did this everything seemed to be running smoothly but then out of nowhere my computer would just freeze out of nowhere while playing games until I had to force shut down. What I ended up doing was switching the RAM sticks into different slots so that the older stick would be in the slot closest to the CPU and the new stick would be in the second spot further from the CPU. When I did this, there was no more freezing but my computer would just shut down and restart itself unexpectedly. I'd be playing games or watching videos and all of a sudden the screen would go black and the computer would just restart. Then I decided to just remove the new RAM stick and keep using the old one in the slot furthest from the CPU and everything was like before. I tried using the new stick and removing the old stick altogether and just kept the new stick in the slot furthest away from the CPU but not I'm noticing frame rate drop and sudden crashes in the internet (I use a network card). Like out of nowhere the computer will just not have internet like it will disconnect out of nowhere and I have to disconnect and reconnect back with either the network card or in the computer itself. PLEASE HELP I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Mixed RAM modules are a 50/50 bet. Modules are only guaranteed in the form sold (from the exact same pack) - even if they are the same make/model/timings, it is irrelevant, as their components and how they are produced changes frequently.

The new module could be faulty, but you are always best practice buying a whole new pack, otherwise you quite easily encounter compatibility problems like the one you have described.
Then they must installed as per the MB manual otherwise this may affect their performance.

cc83

Reputable
Jun 4, 2016
Post both new and old ram models. Did you set DRAM speed in BIOS?
I mixed 2 pairs of 2x4gb kingston ram last week and it works great. But it depends on your mobo, manufacturers and your luck lol.

Jan 26, 2019

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
How do you set DRAM speed in BIOS? I think the RAM sticks are plug and play. Both RAM sticks are the same exact model just bought at different times.
RAM: https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-8gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232248?Item=N82E16820232248
Just to clarify even if they are the same model / timings etc, they are not guaranteed compatibility as the manufacturing process for the stick changes frequently, so whilst you have two of the same model, depending on how that process has changed, they are by all accounts, completely different sticks.

This is why motherboard and RAM manufacturers only guarantee RAM in the form sold (from the same packs)

Not saying it never works, but it's a 50/50 bet.

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
What to do?

Test your ram with memtest86.

You should be able to complete a full pass with NO errors.

If this passes, your problems are not likely to be ram related.

Assuming two sticks fail, try testing each individually.
If your new stick fails, send it back as defective.
You can also test a known good stick in each ram slot to eliminate the possibility of a slot defect.

If your motherboard allows you to adjust ram voltage, try increasing the voltage. Sometimes that gets things to work.

Reactions: PC Tailor