[SOLVED] I installed an SSD and now my CPU is slow

Jan 21, 2021
I recently installed an 860 EVO Samsung SSD and now my CPU gets overloaded from everything. my pc is pretty good, I have a i7-9700k cpu, 2070 gtx, and 16 gigs of ram. before I installed I was getting over 200 frames on the game league of legends, and now im struggling to have 40 frames under the same settings. I also have an additional 5 terabyte HHD and a 500 GB SSD. any solutions would be appreciated, Thank you!

Solution
ooh, so its my ram sticks are the problem, I'll test some new ones when I get the chance

No need to do that. It's looking like you may have done something in the Bios or used a program to edit Bios settings. I would boot to Bios and load optimised defaults, restart, go back into Bios and enable XMP for your memory.

Use Cpuz to read memory speed under memory tab. Frequency should say 1600 if done correctly and ram are running at 3200.
If You have installed the new SSD as a second drive with or whitout the O/S on, then it will start to read from the old one, from where you have all the games installed.
What you have to do is:

Make sure that your games folders are moved to the SSD.
It doesn't really matter from which drive you are booting from, as long as it matter from you are loading the games from.

Btw. You really need to make sure that the SSD is at at the first SSD port om the mobo, otherwise during boot seq. it will start looking for the first one which is your old dive where your boot partion is located and i doesnt matter from which drive you are booting from - the boot sector on the fiirst drive will always try to boot from there

Moving the boot sector can easily be done with free Easus s/w without buying.
Best regards from Sweden

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021
If You have installed the new SSD as a second drive with the O/S on, then it will start to read from the old one, from where you have all the games installed.
What you have to do is:

Make sure that your games folders are moved to the SSD.
It doesn't really matter from which drive you are booting from, as long as it matter from you are loading the games from.
Best regards from Sweden
If your talking about the booting speeds that's not the problem, the problem is that my CPU is heavily underpreforming now, some of my friends said that i just have to much memory (6.5 terrabytes in total). could that be the problem?

Correct.
That is certainly not Your problem.
It sounds to me that You have an issue with the game settings?
I know, it worked before, but still?

Remember that some games changes its setting when they detect new h/w and sometimes it is not to the best settings.
My suggestions is to check all your game graphics settings, change when needed and save the new settings.
Best regards from Sweden

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021
Correct.
That is certainly not Your problem.
It sounds to me that You have an issue with the game settings?
I know, it worked before, but still?

Remember that some games changes its setting when they detect new h/w and sometimes it is not to the best settings.
My suggestions is to check all your graphics settings, change when needed and save the new settings.
Best regards from Sweden
I was running every game on max settings beforehand so I doubt game settings would be the issue, not only games but if I have chrome and discord on it slows down as well. Take a look at the spec I've provided, not many games are supposed to be able to tax my PC

Jan 21, 2021
Please download and run free CPU-Z
Rember to not click any 3 party s/w under installation.

In CPU-Z tab to memory What does it says?
Also in Mainbord tab: what bios version are you running?

Make a screenshot and post in your next answer.
I’m so sorry but I’m about to go, I’ll get back to to you when I get back home. Just in case I come home late, what time are you available tomorrow?

Hey, if Your CPU is under performing, well I have hard to believe that.

Ok.
Lets try this free and quick performance test:
Then it will let You compare to similar CPU-results.

Cinebench 3.2
Citat:
One of the most popular cross-platform CPU benchmarks has just received a spot of tweakage. Cinebench R23 imposes a 10-minute thermal throttling runtime by default, as opposed to the traditional single-run sprint that has previously defined the benchmark, along with a 30-minute system stability mode. Also added is support for Apple’s new M1 chip, its first ARM processor for Mac systems

But hardware reviewers across the globe need not panic. The longer runtime test modes are optional, not compulsory. The single-run sprint is still available in advanced options. It’s also worth noting that although the revised test appears to use the same scene as the preceding R20 release, the algorithm has been updated and scores are not comparable across the releases. Time to update those CPU benchmark databases, in other words.

Ok. After 10 min.
My score is this:
24523 points with an AMD Ryzen 3950X CPU on an Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero X570 mobo, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 RAM.

Best regards from Sweden

Last edited:
500 GB HHD- as in hybrid hard drive?

Not sure how you migrated the OS to the new SSD or if you installed new, but, now bits of cached game and OS are likely scattered on the hybrid hard drive's cache, generally leading to confusion.

I'd nuke the hybrid, delete the partition on the new (?) C; Drive, and start over, installing your OS to the 860 EVO, and then your game wither to the same location or to your other SSD with a fresh game install. Start over.

Then, connect hybrid after all finished, and, delete everything on it, and start over with it as bulk storage for backups and seldom accessed and/or non-time sensitive files.

Reactions: Krotow
I was running every game on max settings beforehand so I doubt game settings would be the issue, not only games but if I have chrome and discord on it slows down as well.

Well, have You checked in game Your graphics settings as I said before?

Another thing is to check Your CPU usage in %

First of all: Shut down Your PC > then unplug from the electrical outlet for at least 10 sec. > power it up.

This is to make sure there are no memory discrepancy left over from the capacitors on the motherboard.
All capacitors including passives have endurance and a short time of charge/discharge, that's the way they are to be functioning in the first place. But, there can be circumstances where such capacitors are just that in place for that specific reason to hold information in specific memory areas of a variety of hardware.
Most probably for faster boot-up times.
Very important.
A ruoter for ex, has to be unplugged for at least 20 sec, but in no way will it destroy the settings in the build in flash memory, in either case above.

I have not been seeing any other purpose expect that it is the normal behavior of a capacitor, so let it be clear from all conspiracy theories once and for all.
I am from Sweden and I have no such time for the like. None of us have.

Second: this is to determine if there are some other background processes that takes up CPU power, which cause problem.
I´m sorry that I am having a Swedish keyboard and language (and poor gramma), but I will try to guide You anyhow.

Start up the computer and wait for at least 1 min. (or moore) from the Windows startup screen, so that all processes that are auto started is up and running.
Right click on the task bar > make sure You have extended view > click on the tab Processes > click on the CPU column so that the "little arrow is pointed down" => this will give you the most CPU demanding processes listed from top. And of course the total CPU usage, right on my red circle.

Can You see any abnormality there?
As an example:

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021
500 GB HHD- as in hybrid hard drive?

Not sure how you migrated the OS to the new SSD or if you installed new, but, now bits of cached game and OS are likely scattered on the hybrid hard drive's cache, generally leading to confusion.

I'd nuke the hybrid, delete the partition on the new (?) C; Drive, and start over, installing your OS to the 860 EVO, and then your game wither to the same location or to your other SSD with a fresh game install. Start over.

Then, connect hybrid after all finished, and, delete everything on it, and start over with it as bulk storage for backups and seldom accessed and/or non-time sensitive files.
oh I missed typed, I have a 5 terrabyte HDD, a 500 GB SSD (the type that connects to the cpu), and then I just installed the 1 terrabyte SSD

Seems guy indeed installed OS and games on hybrid drive (HDD + SSD cache). Those are weird things - you will never know when they will fell out of SSD cache and become plain old HDD with slow IO. Reinstall OS and games on 860 EVO and use that hybrid thing only for archives from now.

Funny thing about moving from HDD to SSD. When OS is on HDD, you will experience 15-25% CPU load with long 95%+ drive grinding. After moving to SSD CPU load will spike to 100% in short bursts with 10% drive load :)

Jan 21, 2021
Hey, if Your CPU is under performing, well I have hard to believe that.

Ok.
Lets try this free and quick performance test:
Then it will let You compare to similar CPU-results.

Cinebench 3.2
Citat:
One of the most popular cross-platform CPU benchmarks has just received a spot of tweakage. Cinebench R23 imposes a 10-minute thermal throttling runtime by default, as opposed to the traditional single-run sprint that has previously defined the benchmark, along with a 30-minute system stability mode. Also added is support for Apple’s new M1 chip, its first ARM processor for Mac systems

But hardware reviewers across the globe need not panic. The longer runtime test modes are optional, not compulsory. The single-run sprint is still available in advanced options. It’s also worth noting that although the revised test appears to use the same scene as the preceding R20 release, the algorithm has been updated and scores are not comparable across the releases. Time to update those CPU benchmark databases, in other words.

Ok. After 10 min.
My score is this:
24523 points with an AMD Ryzen 3950X CPU on an Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero X570 mobo, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 RAM.

Best regards from Sweden