[SOLVED] I installed an SSD and now my CPU is slow

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 21, 2021
I recently installed an 860 EVO Samsung SSD and now my CPU gets overloaded from everything. my pc is pretty good, I have a i7-9700k cpu, 2070 gtx, and 16 gigs of ram. before I installed I was getting over 200 frames on the game league of legends, and now im struggling to have 40 frames under the same settings. I also have an additional 5 terabyte HHD and a 500 GB SSD. any solutions would be appreciated, Thank you!

Solution
ooh, so its my ram sticks are the problem, I'll test some new ones when I get the chance

No need to do that. It's looking like you may have done something in the Bios or used a program to edit Bios settings. I would boot to Bios and load optimised defaults, restart, go back into Bios and enable XMP for your memory.

Use Cpuz to read memory speed under memory tab. Frequency should say 1600 if done correctly and ram are running at 3200.
D

Deleted member 14196

It’s really looks like a Windows issue and it’s probably a coincidence that it happened after you install the SSD

boju

Titan
Ambassador
How are you monitoring cpu temperature? Cinebench is showing your processor speed at 3.6, should be reaching closer to 4.6 all core. I'm wondering if it's thermal throttling. 51c is ok but at what speed?

Check with Coretemp and keep an eye on cpu speed & temp while testing.

An additional drive wouldn't mess with anything. Accidentally bumping something (cooler) while working on it might.

Jan 21, 2021
How are you monitoring cpu temperature? Cinebench is showing your processor speed at 3.6, should be reaching closer to 4.6 all core. I'm wondering if it's thermal throttling. 51c is ok but at what speed?

Check with Coretemp and keep an eye on cpu speed & temp while testing.

An additional drive wouldn't mess with anything. Accidentally bumping something (cooler) while working on it might.
5 min into the test and the temp is at 46 C using MSI afterburner, and on task manager it says its using 99-100% of my cpu (slight fluctuation). does indicate that my cpu isnt the problem? UPDATE: I actually scored an 8485 score this time

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
5 min into the test and the temp is at 46 C using MSI afterburner, and on task manager it says its using 99-100% of my cpu (slight fluctuation). does indicate that my cpu isnt the problem? UPDATE: I actually scored an 8485 score this time

Cpu usage appears normal yes but the question was what speed is the cpu getting up to?

Can you run Userbench please and post link to public results page.

Jan 21, 2021
Cpu usage appears normal yes but the question was what speed is the cpu getting up to?

Can you run Userbench please and post link to public results page.
This is what I got

UserBenchmarks: Game 79%, Desk 78%, Work 83%
CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K - 76.7%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 - 105.6%
SSD: WD Green 240GB (2018) - 42.4%
SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 1TB - 123.4%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (2016) - 111.5%
RAM: Unknown DDR4 3200 2x8GB - 27.6%
MBD: MSI Z390-A PRO (MS-7B98)

D

Deleted member 14196

I would take out the western digital ssd and put the OS and everything on the big 860 evo

240 GB is too small for windows installation with updates and it may be to full And causing performance issues

Jan 21, 2021
I would take out the western digital ssd and put the OS and everything on the big 860 evo

240 GB is too small for windows installation with updates and it may be to full And causing performance issues
It doesnt let me move it, but its fine if i just copy it over then delete it from the 250 SSD right?

D

Deleted member 14196

Search Google for the windows media creation tool and you will be able to create an iso or a bootable USB

Also yes the ram might also cause issues as mentioned above