[SOLVED] I installed an SSD and now my CPU is slow

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 21, 2021
I recently installed an 860 EVO Samsung SSD and now my CPU gets overloaded from everything. my pc is pretty good, I have a i7-9700k cpu, 2070 gtx, and 16 gigs of ram. before I installed I was getting over 200 frames on the game league of legends, and now im struggling to have 40 frames under the same settings. I also have an additional 5 terabyte HHD and a 500 GB SSD. any solutions would be appreciated, Thank you!

Solution
ooh, so its my ram sticks are the problem, I'll test some new ones when I get the chance

No need to do that. It's looking like you may have done something in the Bios or used a program to edit Bios settings. I would boot to Bios and load optimised defaults, restart, go back into Bios and enable XMP for your memory.

Use Cpuz to read memory speed under memory tab. Frequency should say 1600 if done correctly and ram are running at 3200.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
ooh, so its my ram sticks are the problem, I'll test some new ones when I get the chance

No need to do that. It's looking like you may have done something in the Bios or used a program to edit Bios settings. I would boot to Bios and load optimised defaults, restart, go back into Bios and enable XMP for your memory.

Use Cpuz to read memory speed under memory tab. Frequency should say 1600 if done correctly and ram are running at 3200.

Solution
Jan 21, 2021

alright I'll do that then, then I'll try reseating them if that doesnt work

boju

Titan
Ambassador
You're welcome, that looks better. Though you could go a little higher and set ram to 3200. Looks like there's two XMP profiles, 3000 or 3200.

Other than that, looks like everything is good now? What exactly did you do, just to clarify?