[SOLVED] I installed an SSD on my laptop and cloned my HDD to it. Now what?

Dec 25, 2019
I have a Lenovo Ideapad 330 15ICH laptop and I recently installed a Gigabyte A2000 M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe 500 GB SSD onto it with the intention of cloning my hard drive to it and using it as my primary storage option (i.e. as my C drive). I wanted to do that to improve the load times of my applications and to generally make everything on my computer a lot quicker. So anyway, I got a license with my SSD for the Acronis cloning software and I used it with Acronis (the license worked only with the version of Acronis provided by Kingston and didn't work with the latest software from Acronis' website) but it ended up making everything glitchy (when I booted the computer from my SSD). So, I rebooted my computer, this time from my HDD (which thankfully was working just fine) and wiped my SSD clean. I looked online for some freeware and found AOEMI Backupper Standard. I used that to clone again and this time the computer booted from the SSD just fine. But here's the problem: My SSD is set as the D drive while the HDD is set as the C drive. Whenever I open any software through a shortcut, the software uses the C drive to open it (since the address in the shortcut leads to the C drive) while any file that is originally on the D drive loads from the D drive. This is all around just confusing. What should I do?

Solution
It sounds like you may just need to simply change the drive letters from the drives in Disk Management. Open Disk Management through the start menu and change your C drive to anything unused, then change the new drive to C, then change the other drive to whatever you wish, most likely D. Let me know how this works out or if you have any questions.

Feren142

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
It sounds like you may just need to simply change the drive letters from the drives in Disk Management. Open Disk Management through the start menu and change your C drive to anything unused, then change the new drive to C, then change the other drive to whatever you wish, most likely D. Let me know how this works out or if you have any questions.

Solution
remove the HDD and in diskmgmt change the SSD drive letter to C:
and reboot - make sure the boot order in bios is correct - if everything works then tinker with the HDD drive letter if you choose to.

I have a Lenovo Ideapad 330 15ICH laptop and I recently installed a Gigabyte A2000 M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe 500 GB SSD onto it with the intention of cloning my hard drive to it and using it as my primary storage option (i.e. as my C drive). I wanted to do that to improve the load times of my applications and to generally make everything on my computer a lot quicker. So anyway, I got a license with my SSD for the Acronis cloning software and I used it with Acronis (the license worked only with the version of Acronis provided by Kingston and didn't work with the latest software from Acronis' website) but it ended up making everything glitchy (when I booted the computer from my SSD). So, I rebooted my computer, this time from my HDD (which thankfully was working just fine) and wiped my SSD clean. I looked online for some freeware and found AOEMI Backupper Standard. I used that to clone again and this time the computer booted from the SSD just fine. But here's the problem: My SSD is set as the D drive while the HDD is set as the C drive. Whenever I open any software through a shortcut, the software uses the C drive to open it (since the address in the shortcut leads to the C drive) while any file that is originally on the D drive loads from the D drive. This is all around just confusing. What should I do?

TRENDING THREADS