Question I installed new RAM (32GB) but only 16 is being detected?

May 21, 2019
Hi there. Recently I installed new ram (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0123ZCAKW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) but not all of it is being detected. I physically installed 32 GB in total, but both my BIOS and windows shows that only 16 are being used. I'm not sure if my motherboard can't support this much RAM or what, but I could really use some help on this problem. My motherboard (according to CPU-Z) is the Gigabyte B150M-Gaming-CF. Also, I tried switching the memory profile in my BIOS to 2133 (to utilize the full speed of the sticks), and it seems like it works in BIOS but when I save and reboot into windows, it says that the sticks are only running at 1066, which is what the default RAM was running at. Here's a picture of my BIOS, showing not detection of the other two, 8gb RAM sticks:

image0.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated! If you need me to provide more pictures/information, please ask!

May 21, 2019
Did you buy two kits of the linked ramkit? To get 32GB of physical ram or are you mixing and matching kits/stick of ram? Are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard?

They are two of the linked RAM kits. I didn’t know I could update the BIOS for my motherboard. I’m wondering where I could find the update? Would it make a difference?

Last edited:

davew1860

Prominent
Feb 6, 2019
By channels # it says 1, like this:

View: https://imgur.com/jXoYRs1

What does this mean?

It means the sticks are running at half their rated speed, which is not what we want. We want the channel # to say “dual.” You can do this (hopefully) by putting two sticks in EVERY OTHER slot, not side-by-side.

I know you have four sticks, though. Maybe slots 3 and 4 are defective. Or maybe two of the sticks are defective. You can rule these possibilities out by swapping sticks in and out of the slots and by running MemTest86 to check for RAM errors. That utility requires a blank USB thumb drive. I’d try those methods out first, then determine how to proceed from there.

May 21, 2019
It means the sticks are running at half their rated speed, which is not what we want. We want the channel # to say “dual.” You can do this (hopefully) by putting two sticks in EVERY OTHER slot, not side-by-side.

I know you have four sticks, though. Maybe slots 3 and 4 are defective. Or maybe two of the sticks are defective. You can rule these possibilities out by swapping sticks in and out of the slots and by running MemTest86 to check for RAM errors. That utility requires a blank USB thumb drive. I’d try those methods out first, then determine how to proceed from there.
Great, thank you! I will try these steps and get back to you.

Reactions: davew1860
Any help would be greatly appreciated! If you need me to provide more pictures/information, please ask!
Test with single ram module. Try it in all slots.
If it works in one slot and doesn't in another, that could mean bent cpu socket pins.

Test with all modules (one by one) to rule out defective ram module.

BTW - CPU-Z showing DRAM frequency 1066mhz, means effective frequency is 2x1066=2133mhz (double data rate - 2 data transfers per clock).
Single channel means - modules being detected are in same DRAM channel.

Reactions: davew1860
May 21, 2019
Unlikely the memory is defective, but you can check that with MemTest86. Memory is guaranteed in the form sold. Use of multiple kits have no guarantee to be compatible together. The problem is your choice of memory - multiple kits.
I'm not sure if I was clear enough in the OP but, the RAM that I am using is all the same. I am trying to use four, eight gigabyte sticks of the same type of RAM (the RAM in the Amazon link I provided).

May 21, 2019
Test with single ram module. Try it in all slots.
If it works in one slot and doesn't in another, that could mean bent cpu socket pins.

Test with all modules (one by one) to rule out defective ram module.

BTW - CPU-Z showing DRAM frequency 1066mhz, means effective frequency is 2x1066=2133mhz (double data rate - 2 data transfers per clock).
Single channel means - modules being detected are in same DRAM channel.
I will try testing out single modules (one stick in each slot, one at a time). So, my RAM is or isn't running at 2133 MHz? If they're in the same DRAM channel, what exactly does that mean?

They would not be guaranteed to work together and, NO!, don't flip over to flashing a new BIOS.....that won't improve anything at all.

You would have been better-off buying a 32GB kit of 4 DIMMs all together. If you can return what you have and get the 4-DIMM kit, do that, instead.
Not true, in dual channel you can mix dual channel kits (2 kits of 2 sticks) as long as they have same latency and same speeds. What you are refering to is quad channel, which you must buy a 4 sticks kit to guarantee they work together. Dual channel access 2 sticks in the same time so it is not needed to buy a 4 sticks kit, quad channel access 4 sticks at a time which needs that all 4 sticks to work correctly together thats why you need a 4 sticks kit (quad channel kit).

Reactions: rgd1101
Then I guess that is part of what I am trying to fix. Thanks, hopefully I can figure it out.
You have 4 DIMM slots. With ASUS running from the slot closest to the CPU socket, moving right, they are A1, A2, B1, B2. One Channel would be A1 & B1 and the other A2 and B2. When you buy your ram, you should buy it in a matched set of two, if that is what you intend to use or 4 if you are using 4. With ASUS, if you are using a single stick, it would go into DIMM slot A2. I am pretty sure that is standard. Hopefully you will find this helpful with the other suggestions.

May 21, 2019
You have 4 DIMM slots. With ASUS running from the slot closest to the CPU socket, moving right, they are A1, A2, B1, B2. One Channel would be A1 & B1 and the other A2 and B2. When you buy your ram, you should buy it in a matched set of two, if that is what you intend to use or 4 if you are using 4. With ASUS, if you are using a single stick, it would go into DIMM slot A2. I am pretty sure that is standard. Hopefully you will find this helpful with the other suggestions.
So when I bought the RAM, it came in packages of two 8 GB sticks. I'm just use two packages to provide 4 sticks of RAM that are all completely the same. Are you saying I should have bought one package containing four sticks? Appreciate the explanation.

TRENDING THREADS