I installed Windows 10 a couple of months ago today I open my computer and turned it on and it says restoring previous version

Solution
It seems the advice is either reset PC or a fresh install.

both require reinstalling almost everything again. But you can save a lot of files doing this: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/ or putting hdd into another PC and copying data over.

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

Reset:
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
Choose Reset
Choose Keep files/Settings as this will keep library folders (documents, pictures, music, movies) and Logon info
PC will restart and install win 10 again.

Fresh...

Colif

Win 11 Master
its possible it tried to update you to latest version of win 10, and its not rolling you back to win 7, but just win 10 again.

Now does it seem stuck or are lights on box flashing? I wouldn't stop it if its working as it might still be doing the roll back, and restarting it then would only make it worse.

If no lights at all and it just looks stuck, you could try a restart and see what happens.

Carol_29

Commendable
Sep 13, 2016
I have tried to restart and only get the same thing. When it turns on it gives me the little Windows picture then I get the little wheel saying it's restoring previous version with a black background

Carol_29

Commendable
Sep 13, 2016
I'm not sure why it would be doing anything the computer was closed last night and when I woke up I could hear the motor arm so I opened it and that's what it was doing so I restarted it in the cycle begin

Colif

Win 11 Master
It seems the advice is either reset PC or a fresh install.

both require reinstalling almost everything again. But you can save a lot of files doing this: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/ or putting hdd into another PC and copying data over.

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

Reset:
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
Choose Reset
Choose Keep files/Settings as this will keep library folders (documents, pictures, music, movies) and Logon info
PC will restart and install win 10 again.

Fresh install:
boot from installer
follow this: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

A fresh install would likely install the update that caused PC to roll back, but if you hadn't fresh installed and had previously upgraded from win 7 or 8, then chances are this second upgrade was too much for win 10 to cope with. I expect you were getting the Anniversary Update that was released a month ago

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
Win 10 probably woke PC up at 3.30 AM to get update. That was default time for updates in your version. If you ignore updates too long it will force PC to wake up.

That is a problem actually fixed by latest version of Win 10 as now you can set busy hours it will never install in, and can schedule a time it actually remembers

Carol_29

Commendable
Sep 13, 2016

I have windows 7 and recently updated free to windows 10 on the last day it was available
I guess I need to delete windows 7