[SOLVED] I installed Windows 10 Pro onto 3 PCs

Jun 7, 2019
I recently purchased a used SFF PC running windows 10 pro and I made an install disc using the software that comes on the PC. I then upgraded 2 older Think pads with new SSDs and installed the windows 10 pro onto them. It never asked me to enter a license code or anything but just automatically registered authentic through my Microsoft account. How is this possible? I believe I cloned my original PC because when I change my desktop background on the original PC it also changes the background on the 2 think pads as well! I can change the background on the laptops to something else and it doesn't change it on the original PC.

Solution
The 2 Thinkpads came with a valid Win 7/8/8.1 license of their own?

That is the reason. It simply upgraded that original license to Win 10.

No problem.
Jun 7, 2019
Ah ok that makes sense to me now! So it automatically authenticated itself as if I had upgraded from windows 7 to 10? But how come when I change my desktop background on the original PC it also changes the other 2 PCs to the same background? It all seems strange to me. I guess I can just count my blessings everything seems to work ok except for that! I am in no way a computer guru!

USAFRet

Titan
Ah ok that makes sense to me now! So it automatically authenticated itself as if I had upgraded from windows 7 to 10? But how come when I change my desktop background on the original PC it also changes the other 2 PCs to the same background? It all seems strange to me. I guess I can just count my blessings everything seems to work ok except for that! I am in no way a computer guru!
It changes the background because you're logged in with the same Microsoft account. It syncs those settings across multiple devices.

This is either a curse or a blessing.