[SOLVED] I installed Windows in Legacy mode by mistake

Jan 31, 2021
Hey there.
I have a hp 15 notebook. It comes with a hdd which is slow so I decided to install an ssd in its place & use the hdd in a caddy & replacing the optical drive with it.
Now when I tried installing windows 10 on the ssd via tha bootable usb, the usb wasn't showing up in the boot device menu (f9). So I did few quick searches & found that legacy mode should be enabled in bios. So I went ahead and did that. Then the bootable usb was showing up in the boot device menu.
Then I successfully installed windows on the ssd. But then I realized that I had installed via legacy mode & now everytime I boot up I have to press f9 & select the ssd else it boots up from the hdd.

So my questions are:
  1. do I have to reinstall the windows in the ssd via uefi for it to automatically boot via ssd. Also then how do I do it because the bootable usb doesn't show up in the boot menu when legacy is turned off.
  2. What about the hdd partitions. Can I delete them. I manually didn't create any partitions so all my data is in C drive itself. Rest partitions are recovery, oem reserved etc. Do I delete them ?

Reactions: EMOZE
Solution
I would reinstall.

That will provide some assurance that everything is properly configured as required.

Do a clean install on the SSD. What capacity is that SSD? Should be minimal 240 GB.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Read the "How -to" and plan it out for your system.

And again, be sure that all data is backed up.

There may be other thoughts and suggestions offered - so, if possible, wait a bit before proceeding.

Ralston18

Titan
My thoughts:

1) Check BIOS. You should be able to select and set the boot drive to the SSD. Be sure to "Save" or "Apply" the change.

2) No - do not delete. Leave those partitions alone. They are necessary for performance and recovery reasons. If you feel that the allocated storage space is not as it should be then use Disk Management to display the drives and their respective partitions. Capture and post the Window. (Use imgur to publish the image.)

My #3:

Be sure to backup all data and verify that the data is recoverable and readable. At least two copies off the system and one of those off of the network.

All too easy to have things go astray while changing, modifying, or otherwise working with the system drives and partitions.

Jan 31, 2021
My thoughts:

1) Check BIOS. You should be able to select and set the boot drive to the SSD. Be sure to "Save" or "Apply" the change.

No, I am not able to do that. Os boot manager just shows my hdd. My ssd is missing.
I actually figured out the issue, I guess. While making the bootable drive via rufus I selected MBR partition instead of GPT partition. Then when my bootable drive wasn't showing up in the boot menu I went ahead and enabled legacy mode in the bios after which the bootable drive was visible. I went ahead & installed windows. Now I realise I installed windows in legacy mode which is the issue. It boots via my hdd because I guess the it gives preference to uefi systems. And my ssd is listed under legacy menu. So I guess I need to reinstall windows with GPT partition & UEFI system. Please concur if I am correct.

Ralston18

Titan
I would reinstall.

That will provide some assurance that everything is properly configured as required.

Do a clean install on the SSD. What capacity is that SSD? Should be minimal 240 GB.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Read the "How -to" and plan it out for your system.

And again, be sure that all data is backed up.

There may be other thoughts and suggestions offered - so, if possible, wait a bit before proceeding.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS