[SOLVED] I just accidentally booted new build with old HDD and Windows 10 is working?!

Halo Diehards

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
I'm freaking out a little here, because I did all of this preparation prior to upgrading my pc, and that included making sure I had backups of all of my files and folders, because I'm using the same hard drive and I knew I was going to have to wipe it to reinstall Windows 10. But then I hooked up the hard drive and was trying to get in BIOS to assign the optical drive as boot to use to install the fresh WIndows 10, but it got past me and booted up Windows 10 from my hdd! Everything is booting up like normal, all of my apps from my start menu are loading up and everything! What do I do! lol. Can I just roll with it, or am I going to have problems?

PC Specs:

Motherboard: Asus M5A99X upgraded to ASRock B450 Pro4
CPU: AMD FX Processor Black Edition upgraded to Ryzen 5 2600
RAM: DDR3 upgraded to DDR4

HDD: Seagate Barracuda
Graphics: GeForce GTX 1070

Solution
You mean your old HDD had windows 10?
Thats normal, its not like older windows where you had to reinstall whole windows.
Its a pretty neat feature.

You could tranfser it to new pc every day and it still would work normally, tho you would have to install latest drivers if you need them.

Halo Diehards

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
You mean your old HDD had windows 10?
Thats normal, its not like older windows where you had to reinstall whole windows.
Its a pretty neat feature.

You could tranfser it to new pc every day and it still would work normally, tho you would have to install latest drivers if you need them.

Are you kidding me?! I searched all over the 'net before doing this upgrade, and EVERYWHERE said I couldn't do that. Jeez, what a pia, but also, absolutely awesome! Saves me soooo much heartache.

Will Windows Update handle the drivers or do I need to do it? I have the motherboard cd, do I run that? Thanks so much for your help, man, I'm flying blind here!

Yes, windows will handle it without any issue at all (Just ask yourself how does like Linus, GamersNexus, Techyes, Jayz do all the testing?).

But sometimes its better to install your motherboards drivers (CD or Latest on internet) cause you get extra tweaks like from gigabit ethernet controller and etc. if you wish and need to configure what you do need.

Even JayzTwoCents mentioned once or twice that when you move your Windows 10 HDD to new system that old drivers from any other motherboard did not affect perfomance at all from his testing.

Im gonna add this, I really dont know if its true or not, but many people recommend getting latest version of windows via iso file from microsofts site by your windows key if you wish the latest things, as sometimes windows update can do "Weird" things.

Reactions: Halo Diehards