I just bought a 4k tv for gaming but my FPS is 40 now

ZvenDutch

Prominent
May 29, 2017
So I just bought a 4k tv. Everything seems to be working fine exept the FPS.
However I'm getting a new motherboard and a new processor and new ram this saturday.
Then my setup will be.
A GTX 1070 MSI
I-7 7700 PROCESSOR
16 gb DDR4
ASUS ROG STRIX B250G GAMING MOTHERBOARD
Would my FPS increase alot once I have this?
I have around 30-45 FPS with star wars battlefront right now with the 4k monitor.
Without it I have 75-100+ Like alot.
So should I bring my monitor back? Or does anyone know if the FPS will be way better once I have that all installed?

Solution
No, the CPU is not a factor in gaming performance when you increase resolution. It is all in the GPU. It takes as much work for the CPU to do the necessary calculations at 1366x768 as it does at 4K. Once the CPU supplies the data for the GPU. It is up to the GPU to render that frame at whatever resolution you choose and most other options.

As the GPU is the limiting factor. You have effectively decreased the work your CPU has to do by increasing resolution.

If you want better FPS at 4K. Instead of the new CPU and motherboard. Upgrade to a GTX 1080 Ti and sell the GTX 1070.
No, the CPU is not a factor in gaming performance when you increase resolution. It is all in the GPU. It takes as much work for the CPU to do the necessary calculations at 1366x768 as it does at 4K. Once the CPU supplies the data for the GPU. It is up to the GPU to render that frame at whatever resolution you choose and most other options.

As the GPU is the limiting factor. You have effectively decreased the work your CPU has to do by increasing resolution.

If you want better FPS at 4K. Instead of the new CPU and motherboard. Upgrade to a GTX 1080 Ti and sell the GTX 1070.

Solution

Alphasa

Commendable
May 3, 2016
You're probably not going to get much better FPS unless you upgrade your video card. The higher the resolution of the display the more processing power it takes. Even with a better video card you're probably going to want to get a lower resolution monitor if you want high FPS. 4K TV's have a 60 Hz limit which mostly locks you to a max of 60 FPS.

Whats holding you back is your gpu. The cpu is more than capable of doing 4k gaming.

227qed

Reputable
Jan 24, 2015
Just turn off antialiasing, ambient occlusion, and set post processing effects to low. These are the biggest killers of framerates in frostbite engine. You should be able to keep everything else at ultra and hit 60 fps.

Alternatively, if there's resolution scaling, set it to .8 or so with native 4k if you'd rather have max settings than max resolution. Do some back to back and see which you prefer. Once you have stable 60 fps, try turning things up til you notice drops and weigh the drops vs improvements. It's all personal preference.

You'll have to give in a little somewhere, but IMHO the high res with 1070 looks so good I don't miss the few extra graphics goodies--not to mention the $200-$300 I saved by not going with a 1080 at the time. I'm getting a pretty stable 60 fps in battlefield 1 at 4k using my 1070 and and i5 4460 with aa ao off and pp low.

Toothless010

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2015

You didnt mention the "Game".....4k gaming at highest setting will generally run 45-59 FPS. This is with a GTX 1080/5960X CPU. But you need to turn off VSync.

Mafia 3 will test any system.......28-45 FPS.....at 4K/highest

Nobody will get 60 FPS on a 1070/1080 video card for every game. What size tv monitor? 40 inch? 70 inch?

what you can do now is:
1-did you update video card drivers?
2-did you update Microsoft Visual C++
3-Is Microsoft NetFrameWork v4.5 installed?
4-did you update DirectX?
5-install the latest game patch?
6- turn off vsync
7-turn off all the crap running in the background when gaming
8-Get an AV that has "game mode" when gaming.