[SOLVED] I just bought a i7-11700k and I have an gtx 1080 card, how would that pair up? I have an i7-4790k from before.

StarOyster

Prominent
Oct 26, 2019
I just bought a i7-11700k and I have an gtx 1080 card, how would that pair up in gamimg? I have an i7-4790k from before.

Solution
what do you mean exactly?

any CPU dependent game will perform MUCH better with the 11th gen.
any GPU dependent game may get slightly better performance due to the faster DDR4 and other chipset improvements, but still be limited by the GTX 1080.

StarOyster

Prominent
Oct 26, 2019
what do you mean exactly?

any CPU dependent game will perform MUCH better with the 11th gen.
any GPU dependent game may get slightly better performance due to the faster DDR4 and other chipset improvements, but still be limited by the GTX 1080.
Thanks for answer, I also wondering if there are bottleneck with those togheter :p

GameCrucnh

Commendable
Sep 24, 2020
Your CPU will be the bottleneck in the vast majority of games, although this is usually normal for most gaming builds.

You will definitely notice an improvement over your old CPU though as previously it was probably bottle-necking a lot.

Reactions: StarOyster
There is no such thing as "bottlenecking"
If, by that, you mean that upgrading a cpu or graphics card can
somehow lower your performance or FPS.
A better term might be limiting factor.
That is where adding more cpu or gpu becomes increasingly
less effective.

Your results will depend on the types of games you play.
Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.

Regardless, you WILL do better.
11th gen single thread performance will make everything feel quicker.

If you are graphics limited, good luck in finding a stronger graphics card in today's market, and at anything less than 2x MSRP.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I briefly ran my GTX1080 with my 4770k, upgrading to a 7700k after that didn't show much improvement 1440p (Aside from the NVMe storage, making load times much nicer)
Now I have a 10900F, same old GTX1080. I played a few games, didn't see much difference, but I haven't tried out anything like the latest battlefield games in multiplayer where the higher core count would start to matter.

About the hardest to run titles I play are built on CryEngine 3 or similar and I am certainly GPU bound there.

Reactions: StarOyster
At least your minimum fps will never be low again due to not having enough cores/threads....

Even as the GTX1080 ages, it is still undoubtedly a fine GPU for 1080P gaming. (Once the CPU is upgraded, then, like most of planet, the GPU will resume it's place as the Grand 98% Limiter of Performance...

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Upgrade CPU every 5-6 years, GPU every 2 years, you should be ok. Right now if you have a 6 year old CPU you have a 4790K, so the jump to current-gen will be decent. Anything newer than that and it's not really worth it IMO.

The GTX1080 is still quite competent at 1080P gaming...; the 11700K may not equal the 5800X/5900X, but, it's certainly no darn doorknob either...

(Hopefully, you are getting in on some of that 'last 48 hour price cut' action, $269-$289 pricing I saw recently?)

GameCrucnh

Commendable
Sep 24, 2020
YAAHSSSSSSS!

I personally use the terms bottleneck and limiting factor interchangeably.

A "bottleneck" is a lot easier to visualize, you have a part of the system that is worse than everything else so its limiting how much performance you can get, if you reduce the "bottleneck" there is more preformance, if you increase parts outside of the bottleneck there is still a preformance gain but not as significant.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021

A "bottleneck" is a lot easier to visualize, you have a part of the system that is worse than everything else so its limiting how much performance you can get, if you reduce the "bottleneck" there is more preformance, if you increase parts outside of the bottleneck there is still a preformance gain but not as significant.
The danger is that very low intelligence people can understand what a bottleneck is, but they generally can’t understand the term limiting factor. So by only using the latter, you dissuade morons from replying to you.

USAFRet

Titan

It is entirely possible, and very common, to "reduce the bottleneck" and result in worse performance.

CPU - i7-4790k
GPU - 2080ti

Big bottleneck, right?

So, if we swap in an RX570 for the GPU, we "reduce the bottleneck", correct?
We've also reduced overall performance.

I've had people here want to do exactly that, think the "bottleneck" number is the thing to 'fix'.
"If i put in a lower card, I reduce the bottleneck, right? And that's better, right?"

Yes, really.

Too much reliance on that stupid word.

Reactions: rolli59

Howardohyea

Commendable
May 13, 2021

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
If I recall correctly the 4790K is even worse than an i3 10100F, so even buying that would be a step up lol
gSYF5CbsMWtvkA6Jr5b5S9-970-80.png.webp (970×546) (futurecdn.net)
It’s all relative tho, unless you’re running something that gets all four cores of the 4790K to 100%, you wont notice any difference usually from upgrading CPU.

I actually have a 4790K in a gaming rig with a 1660 Super and the only games it struggles with are some of the big AAA titles like COD Warzone battle royale or Battlefield 5 64 player mode. In most games it sits at 60-70% on two cores.

TRENDING THREADS