I just bought a new headset with a single audio/mic cord, and my laptop only has one audio/mic combo jack, but mic doesnt work

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowmanben

Reputable
Sep 6, 2014
I just bought a brand new Bose QuietComfort 15 headset, and it comes with only one cord for both audio and microphone. My asus laptop only has one audio/mic combo jack. When I plug my headset into the jack the microphone doesn't pick up sound or even show that it is present. The only mic that is shown is the internal laptop mic. If anyone knows how to fix this please help!

Solution
These headphones come with two cords, make sure you are using the one with a microphone.
Check that the 3.5mm plug has 4 metal sections rather than three.
Check that the plug is connected all the way in, the microphone input is the connection closest to the cord and hence the one most likely to stick out.
Are you sure the jack on your laptop is combined headphone and microphone?

Peanut85

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016
This is not a software issue but a hardward issue.

If your headphone is Apple compatible (works on an iphone) it use the CTIA 3.5mm Audio Jack format. You PC uses the OMTP (Android format). So you need a converter. 5$ on Amazon !

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I50B3O8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Worked for me.
I know can use my iPhone compatible Bose quiet confort earplug with on my Laptop and bose sound and Mic work fine.

Jul 9, 2018
For everyone who has realtek i have an answer! Go into your search bar, and search Audio Manager, click on it. If you get something like this https://gyazo.com/e51fbeecb9094845682da9741bd85c60 Click on the folder icon on the right and then click on enable popup dialogue... And then OK. Re plug in your headphones and then click on headset when the dialogue pops up. This should enable both the mic and sound! Hope it works for anyone having problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.