Discussion I just bought more RAM for my SandyBridge i7-2600K

bit_user

Splendid
Herald
With memory prices so low, recently (and already starting to rise, again), I started contemplating some upgrades. My main focus was DDR4, so I snapped up 16 GB (2x 8 GB) for my Linux laptop. However, it also got me thinking about an old Sandybridge desktop I use for web, email, and light MS Office tasks.

Originally, I started with 4 GB in this Windows 7 box. I pretty quickly outgrew that, and used the opportunity to go from DDR3-1066 (which I scrounged from some other old hardware) to DDR3-1600 (technically an overclock, as the CPU's stock speed is only DDR3-1333). This resulted in a very noticeable speedup, not least because I'm using the integrated graphics.

Lately, I'm getting low-memory warnings. I tend to leave browsers open and have lots of tabs - that's surely the cause. So, I set about trying to find a similar deal on some DDR3. I like to buy over-spec'd memory, as I feel it's likely to be more stable at the speed I'm actually going to use. For similar reasons, I prefer to use only one DIMM per channel, completely replacing my old RAM. So, I found this kit for $62 (now already $63):

You can find this on ebay or amazon marketplace for a bit less, but in case the RAM is bad, I figured it's worth paying a little more to buy it directly from Newegg. Warranty claims should be easier, or I can just use Newegg's 30-day return policy.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this, in case anyone is in the same boat. I had to think about whether it was worth upgrading a now 8-year-old PC (though I only pieced it together about 5-6 years ago), but it already has a good SSD and I'm sure it's still faster than modern Chromebooks. I hope to get another 3-4 years out of it.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS