Question I just bought RTX 3080 and I’m getting 50-60 FPS with low settings

IceAge1992

Prominent
Oct 3, 2022
Hello guys as the title says that I just bought RTX 3080 and I’m getting FPS around 50-60 with low settings and I’m not sure why please if anyone can help me I’ll appreciate it.

RTX 3080
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 CPU @ 4.20GHz
16 GB Ram
CX 750M (Power supply)
Whats resolution?

The 7700 is fairly low end by today's standards. If it can only push out 50-60 fps any gpu upgrade won't increase fps. What game is this?

Also a CX750M is likely to have issues if you get the 3080 running to its full potential. Its a mid range psu thats unlikely to hand the spikes a 3080 can produce.

IceAge1992

Prominent
Oct 3, 2022
Whats resolution?

The 7700 is fairly low end by today's standards. If it can only push out 50-60 fps any gpu upgrade won't increase fps. What game is this?

Also a CX750M is likely to have issues if you get the 3080 running to its full potential. Its a mid range psu thats unlikely to hand the spikes a 3080 can produce.
almost every game for example squad and dying light 2
So I need to upgrade my power supply only?

Ah, then you are likely cpu bottlenecked. Unfortunately while the 7700 was good in it's day, a modern day i3 is probably better due to having higher ipc. Wasn't long ago the 7700 was considered a big dog. What resolution are you playing? 1080p? Try to turning your details up higher toward max. That should place more load on the gpu and the cpu might have an easier time.

USAFRet

Titan
It was GTX 1080, and I get around 60 FPS or sometimes 50 in dying light 2
So you get the same FPS as before.

This is one of the fallacies of changing the GPU.

The CPU provides the framerate, the GPU provides the eyecandy.

Given the same CPU, you will get the same framerate. Just with a better GPU, you can boost the graphics level.

People think a better GPU will automagically give better fps. It does not.

Reactions: PEnns and Krotow

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Are you sure ? Because RTX 3080 with high settings other people they get more than 100+ fps
We've got no idea what all(programs/software) is, or isn't, running on their PCs, nor yours.
It's surprising how much cpu cycles can be stolen by them.

Also, because the gpu's 'turn' never comes before the cpu's, it is never faster than what the cpu can do. So if the cpu delivers no more than 60fps, then the gpu can't do more than that either.

Are you sure V-sync isn't enabled in some of these titles?

Step 1 try running this in safe mode
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
remove any and all drivers av ailable
install the most recent gpu drivers on reboot

Step 2
https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm

run this disable spectre fix

if you dont see 25% more fps

reinstall windows fresh, not a restore not a repair or abn upgrade, install from fresh media.

The 7700k is a bit older, but you should still get a lot of enjoyment beyond what you are currently seeing.

emitfudd

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
When my 1080ti died I had a short period of time where I put a 3080 with my 7700K OC'd to 5.0GHz. Not a good match. The 7700 is holding you back. You would have been better off with a 3060 especially for 1080P. Or better yet if you have some funds, upgrade your PC so you can put the 3080 to good use.

EasyListening

Honorable
Mar 14, 2017
Hello guys as the title says that I just bought RTX 3080 and I’m getting FPS around 50-60 with low settings and I’m not sure why please if anyone can help me I’ll appreciate it.

What games does it run ok? Have you tried CS:GO? Can we get some benchmark numbers? Cinebench 15, Fire Strike, GeekBench? Yea they are older benches, but makes more sense with your CPU.

is your GPU sagging, perchance? I had a problem like that a long time ago, it might be nothing, it might be a longshot, but I have a lot of experience with these things, and sometimes just reseating things in their sockets will get a broken PC to start working again. YMMV

Take it to a friends house and try it in their PC, who has a different CPU, to verify that the GPU is the problem regardless of CPU, or, the GPU might be exonerated and your i7 is just slow.

There are lots of games that should work just fine with your CPU and GPU... but try those older benches, as it is easier than reinstalling everything.

Hope that helps.

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
So you get the same FPS as before.

This is one of the fallacies of changing the GPU.

The CPU provides the framerate, the GPU provides the eyecandy.

Given the same CPU, you will get the same framerate. Just with a better GPU, you can boost the graphics level.

People think a better GPU will automagically give better fps. It does not.
Can you elaborate on that? I have had the same 8700k for the past 3 generations of GPU's (1080, 2080s, 3080) and every time I upgrade I get to crank the settings higher while also getting significantly better fps in the same games. Do you just mean in a scenario where the CPU is maxing out? I play at 1440p though.

At 1440p you are taking some load off the cpu, and also by upping settings you are further taking load off the cpu. At higher resolution the cpu matters less, but the 8700k is still strong enough for now. It will be interesting when new gpus come out to see how current cpus like the ryzen 5000 series and Intel cpus hold up.

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that a weak CPU means at low settings in DX12, a 3080 is no faster than a 3060
NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-3080-AMD-CPU-Scaling-3.jpg

This is because nVidia completely removed the hardware schedulers after Fermi so they run entirely in software drivers (like a Winmodem!) as that's both faster and appears more power efficient (since the work and wattage are redirected to the CPU). Since AMD had to design for slow console Jaguar CPUs, they had to keep their power-hungry hardware schedulers making their GPU suck down the power instead, so it looks "less efficient." That's probably why nVidia always sends reviewers an entire test platform with the fastest CPU available.

The further back in time you go for the CPU the worse this effect is, until by Core 2 a lowly RX 5600 whips a RTX 3090 pretty badly. Of course AMD wouldn't be AMD if they let this situation stand, so by RX 6600 the PCIe interface was cut in half which is all kinds of bad when you've only got PCIe 1.0a or 1.1

If you increase the load on the GPU by for example going to 4k, you certainly won't get any more fps but at least the card will perform much more as expected
NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-3080-AMD-CPU-Scaling-4.jpg