I just built a nice rig with i5-8400 but now i7-8750h notebook seems to be just as fast?

Satearn

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2015
I just build a system with 16 gigs or RAM and an i5-8400.

I didn't buy a notebook because they weren't fast enough a few months ago.

But now, Intel came up with the i5-8750h and according to benchmarks my desktop is only %5 faster...;(

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-8750H-vs-Intel-Core-i5-8400/m470418vs3939

Should I ditch the desktop and get an i5-8750h notebook?

Or even if the benchmark shows only a 5% advantage on desktop, will desktop real life performance will still be better than notebook?

I was told that desktops should always be faster than notebooks, but now starting to wonder?

Desktop will still be faster in day to day usage and gaming performance. They aren't as limited by temperatures and can hold the higher boost clocks longer. Besides, the laptop chip costs way more, if you were to upgrade you could get a better desktop chip for cheaper.

JTWrenn

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Desktops are almost always faster than portables per dollar....unless you spend that money in the wrong places. It all depends on what you do with the thing.

Desktop have advantages in graphics (because you can add and upgrade discreet), expandable storage, and in general the same processor will be faster because it doesn't use power saving functions.

So if you are a gamer then desktop is worth it to save money and have a bigger screen and such.

Really you can get a very fast portable nowadays. I would look more at the hard drive for everyday use though.

Damn hard to say without know what you are using it for.

Satearn

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2015
Actually I don't game at all, but I like to multitask for instance, yesterday I did a test with the desktop as follows:

- 330 tabs open in Chrome
- illustrator
- photoshop (100 images open)
- dreamweaver
- Open office
- LINE
All at the same time, my RAM went over 16 gigs, but the thing never crashed or stalled ;)

Could a laptop pull this off?

My buddy bought a gaming laptop with i7-7700hq and he says that multiple tabs and heavy MS word docs slows it down!

Laptops will limit performance artificially to keep temps and battery drain down. While that 8750h would probably be a pretty good multitasker the desktop 8700 far far better, much cheaper, and you could just drop it in your current PC.

Satearn

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2015

Yeah, I think I might just do that in the future. I'll wait a year to 2 thought, tilll something even faster comes up.

One thing is for sure. A lot of people say speed doesn' t matter for productivity, but it really does, I can work much faster with this PC, I don't have to worry about nothing, I just open up everything I want at anytime, and my localhost dev environment revs, I save tons of time with this setup.

So 8700 in the future for sure;)