I just don't get it!

Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I need ur help guys. I have 3 pc's in my home. All pc's have Counter-Strike (Half-Life) installed. My main pc has a Celeron433/BF6mobo/384Mb ram/ViperTNT2-32. The other 2 pc's are basically "junkers" & inferior to the main machine in almost every way (8 Mb ATI vid card & STB 4400 vid card, 64 Mb ram, cheap mobo's etc etc) & both have PII450's.
Here's the deal: I get 10-25 fps (depending on map) with my main machine but anywhere from 35-55 with the other 2 pieces of crap. I am using Nvidias latest reference drivers for my TNT2. This machine is running NT4.0 but so is one of the other pc's (win98 on last machine). I just don't get it. Why is the machine with the most system & video ram (by huge margins) lagging behind the others. The TNT2 is way newer than the other carsds too! I don't belive a PII450 would be making the diff compared to the Celeron433. I have reinstalled NT several times & found a "fresh" install doesn't help. Can anyone help me? Do I have a config problem? I do not activate/deactivate any settings or filters on the TNT2 properties & everything is left "as is" after driver installation. All pc's are running 800x600 resolution. Thank you very much to all that take time out of their busy schedules to reply.

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That is strange. Your using the newest Nvidia drivers for the TNT2. Also one of the "junker" machines is running NT aswell. I wouldnt think that a PII 450 with a older vid card would make that much differance over a celeron 433 with an ok vid card. I would try something like q3 if possible for another comparison. I had a classic 600 Athlon with a TNT2 Ultra by creative and my friend had a 466 celeron with a TNT2 Ultra by diamond and under quake3 we were almost identical in fps under win98SE. In fact at some resolutions he even beat me. Another thing, NT4 is not a real gaming OS either, but with the one machine under NT4 still beating your main one makes me wonder if something isnt wrong with the main one. I suggest trying out a few other first person shooter type games and doing there benchmarks for comparison.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I recall reading somewhere in these forums that the later Detonator 3 drivers should not be used with tnt2 cards but I also recall that they are supposed to be monolithic and will work with all cards. Since I don't have the facts I'm not really sugesting anything except beware and read up on it.

Personally, I suggest Detonator 3, version 6.50 which seem to be the fastest for my Geforce256. Here are some links.

www.nvguru.com
http://www.3dchipset.com/beta/nvidia/list.html

Since I have been mostly an AMD user for 13 years I do not know a lot about Intel platforms so if I am wrong just ignore this. Guessing by the numbers you provided, I would think your PIIs run a 100 mhz FSB. Could the Celeron running on 66 mhz FSB account for some of the difference in performance? Wouldn't the Celeron have a much lower memory bandwidth?