Question I just got this used PC and it's crashing after starting any serious games ?

DutchFellah

Reputable
Sep 26, 2019
image.png
Hey, specs on picture. I just got this used pc and its crashing after starting any serious games (pubg and the finals) and i havent even been able to make it into the finals main menu. I tried to play a smaller game, brawhalla and play a match fine. It’s an HP prebuilt (sadly) but I removed the ram sticks and tried switching putting 1 in but it keeps happening.

I reinstalled Windows and tried a few small things but nothing is working. What does it sound like?

zinkles

Commendable
Aug 24, 2022
Could you do a stress test on the system as see if it completes successfully without crashing?

By "crashing" do you mean only the game crashes, or does the whole PC crash and you have to force restart it for it to work again?

If the whole PC crashes, I'd suspect the PSU to be insufficient for the system (or due to ageing, it's capability has reduced). I'm unaware if it uses any proprietary power connections [in which case, you wont be able to swap to other PSU's other than HP ones.] since the model of it isn't given.

Also, open your case and check for the model of the PSU and include it in your reply.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

DutchFellah

Reputable
Sep 26, 2019
IMG-0324.jpg
Could you do a stress test on the system as see if it completes successfully without crashing?

By "crashing" do you mean only the game crashes, or does the whole PC crash and you have to force restart it for it to work again?

If the whole PC crashes, I'd suspect the PSU to be insufficient for the system (or due to ageing, it's capability has reduced). I'm unaware if it uses any proprietary power connections [in which case, you wont be able to swap to other PSU's other than HP ones.] since the model of it isn't given.

Also, open your case and check for the model of the PSU and include it in your reply.
Thanks for answering, I could later today stress test it, sure. At first it was closing the game and giving me an error but for the last few tries it was crashing the whole pc. Psu model on image

DutchFellah

Reputable
Sep 26, 2019
Power connectors on the motherboard are proprietary it seems.
Any PSU you get (if the PSU is the issue) would have to be from HP itself, and they aren't cheap either.

Anyways, a stress test is needed to come to a solid conclusion though.

BTW is this your system?

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Deskt...er-supply-upgrade-and-nothing-is/td-p/8336471
It looks simular but that powersupply says 400 platinum and mine says 80plus gold 310w. Also the graphics card is a gtx 1660 super and not 1650 super. I’m stresstesting it soon.

DutchFellah

Reputable
Sep 26, 2019
Any PSU you get (if the PSU is the issue) would have to be from HP itself, and they aren't cheap either.

BTW is this your system?

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Deskt...er-supply-upgrade-and-nothing-is/td-p/8336471
Would say that in case it is the psu, I should try and scrap a cheap case, psu and motherboard and make it into a normal build or is that hp psu still cheaper?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Also running single channel memory which is doing overall system performance no favors. So if the memory isn't an issue, put all of it back in.
Theoretically that is enough to run a 1660 Super, but I agree, likely a PSU issue since you can run lighter titles more easily.

Better off ditching the HP motherboard, PSU, and chassis.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI B450M-A PRO MAX II Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($67.00 @ MSI)
Case: DIYPC DIY-S07 ATX Mid Tower Case ($41.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: MSI MAG A650BN 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.00 @ MSI)
Total: $167.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-04-15 11:22 EDT-0400

Apr 11, 2024
Check the temperatures of both CPU and GPU during Gaming. Or try Video-Encode once with and once without hardwareacceleration and have HWMonitor running at the same time. See if anything gets too hot. Could be Hardware-Damage. Not saying it is. But better check it out before buying a new PSU and feel sorry afterwards.

DutchFellah

Reputable
Sep 26, 2019

BTW is this your system?

Check the temperatures of both CPU and GPU during Gaming. Or try Video-Encode once with and once without hardwareacceleration and have HWMonitor running at the same time. See if anything gets too hot. Could be Hardware-Damage. Not saying it is. But better check it out before buying a new PSU and feel sorry afterwards.
Also running single channel memory which is doing overall system performance no favors. So if the memory isn't an issue, put all of it back in.
Theoretically that is enough to run a 1660 Super, but I agree, likely a PSU issue since you can run lighter titles more easily.

Better off ditching the HP motherboard, PSU, and chassis.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI B450M-A PRO MAX II Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($67.00 @ MSI)
Case: DIYPC DIY-S07 ATX Mid Tower Case ($41.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: MSI MAG A650BN 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.00 @ MSI)
Total: $167.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-04-15 11:22 EDT-0400

Benchmark didn't crash but maybe its only using gpu and not much of cpu?

dwadpoiwajkdowa.png

DutchFellah

Reputable
Sep 26, 2019
I used the cpu burner option in furmark and let it go for a bit and it went up to like 69 degrees at 100% after like 2-3 mins so that wouldnt make the games crash instantly after starting it up consistently

DutchFellah

Reputable
Sep 26, 2019
dwadawd.png

ok so weird update, i just ran the cpu burner and gpu benchmark at the same time and it didnt crash at both using 100% so maybe not psu?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Perhaps not. Like I said, theoretically enough power to run the CPU and GPU at the same time.

Might be time to go through and update everything possible, with a focus on video and audio drivers. I can't tell you how many times I have had problems solved with new audio drivers.

Try SFC /Scannow to see if any Windows files have gone corrupt.

If that is still the OEM OS install after a clean sweep, might also be time to go it alone and Install Windows from scratch using the latest build.

DutchFellah

Reputable
Sep 26, 2019
Games your trying to run doubt it's a power issue what is the ram speed
Yeah its been a few days and ive tried everything from remove one of the ram sticks and then removing the other to but it still crashes a lot of games. Have been playing rocket league for 1.5 hours just now with no crashes but 90% of all the games i try to run do crash. I'm just lost at what it could be. ram speed is 2666 and the other one is 3200 but it just goes to the slowest speed on task manger it says 2666. But since i removed them both i dont think its that. tried comepletely wiping the drive, using a drive and new windows, older drives everything. also rocket leagues using 100% gpu with 125W so it cant be psu i think, no way all other games would crash that fast. I think imma buy another gpu from someone and see if its the gpu.

DutchFellah

Reputable
Sep 26, 2019
And did you d a full wipe and reinstall?

Or are you simply relying on whatever the previous users had in there?

For ANY used system, you personally need to do a full wipe and reinstall as your first move.
Yes I removed the ssd and replaced it with one i had and wiped that one and reinstalled it with the usb manager thing and did checked windows updates, they were done and then installed newest drivers and it still happened. (usb had the newest install tool thing)