I just got windows 7 and when I was installing it an error came up saying "The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EF

gammaray96

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013
I cant get windows 7 to install on my computer because it has an MBR partition and windows can only be installed to GPT disks

ugljesa93

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016

Hi all! I'm Ugljesa, and this is my first post here! :) Just a question about reinstalling Windows 7. I use Win7 Ultimate, 64-bit on my Samsung laptop. When I did the last Windows reinstallation, I've made one NTFS partition, located on letter C, and this is the main system partition, and here is Windows installed. I also created a secondary NTFS partition located on the letter D, and that's where I put all my apps, music, games, and other data in general. Since my Windows started bugging some time ago, I wanted to reinstall it again today. But, when I started setup, I came across the error mentioned here, that Windows couldn't be installed on mbr partitions style, just on gpt disks. @AxlMyk you suggested that deleting the partitions should solve the problem. Do you know if I delete just partition C (first partition), would I be able to install Windows on this first partition? Currently I don't have any solutions to backup everything on D partition since it's too big, so I don't wish to delete and reformat the D partition and lose all my data, but I can do it just on the primary C partition. Thanks for help in advance!

BadAsAl

Distinguished
Any time you do anything with reinstalling Windows you run the risk of losing your data. Without backups you are running the risk of losing the data anyway, just by virtue of the fact that hard drives fail all the time. So my advise is go get an external USB hard drive that is large enough to hold everything on C: and D:. Then backup everything you care about before you do anything else.

Then you could do a repair install using the Windows disk from within Windows. This will reinstall everything without touching your personal data and will fix most issues with a bad or corrupt Windows install. Also shouldn't affect your programs. Here is a guide: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html?filter

kodiak77

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016

for those who can't delete partitions with a windows disk need to try this , I was unable to delete any partitions and then I came across this answer ,,,,, it was exactly what I needed and it worked !!https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/trying-to-format-my-hdd-for-clean-win-7-install/709654ef-d6fd-4686-9145-a1e4bd5ee588?auth=1