I just installed a 1080 and it made hardly any difference in FPS

beanobella03

Commendable
Sep 16, 2017
I just got a GeForce asus strix 1080 8Gb GPU as an upgrade from a Gtx 1050ti and it made no difference to my FPS or not the difference it should have done (20 FPS Boost only) i recently mixed my ram sticks and that made a difference. is it a possibility that either not having an SSD, or not having 16gb of RAM as opposed to 8 GB in my pc as of now, made a difference. Or is it that when mixing ram sticks it affected the speed of PC in general or just the CPU and ram speed. if not is there an imbalance between CPU to GPU, CPU to RAM, or RAM to GPU??? Thank you.
Specs are:

AMD Ryzen 5 1500x Quad core processor
Corsair Vengeance 2x4 GB 3200mhz
ASUS Strix 1080
MSI B350 tomahawk motherboard
Samsung 240Gb SSD

Solution

You can install memtest86 on a bootable cd or a usb stick.
You boot memtest86 and it runs; there is no windows involved.
You should be able to complete a full pass with NO errors.
https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm
You were fortunate that mixed ram sticks works at all.
If the sticks were of different speeds, you are running at the speed of the lower capability stick.
If you are just gaming, then 8gb total should be sufficient.

Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.

I suspect that your cpu core speed is your limiter.
See if you can't overclock a bit.

inzane4all

Upstanding
Jun 20, 2018
Well, your playing Fortnite. That's one issue there. How you going to get a $1000 card for Fortnite? lol jk

Ok, uninstall display drivers. Download display drivers and any utilities from the ASUS site for your card. They usually have utilities that will auto-oc your card and improve it's performance.

8 GB of DDR4 is PLENTY. DDR4 runs crazy fast, so 8GB will run like if you have 16GB of DDR3. I really believe its a software/driver issue like other's have suggested.

And yes mixing RAM sticks of different frequencies/brands will cause issues because of different timings. You can try and mess with the timings, but I wouldn't suggest doing it unless your a Pro and are comfortable resetting BIOS in case of issues. I have 1 RAM stick that had different timings than my other sticks and had issues. I matched the timings to the other sticks, and no more issues.

beanobella03

Commendable
Sep 16, 2017

i think i did, shall i redo it and if so can you give me a guide on how and the best route?

i can tel you that my two cards rx580 and my 1080ti only has 15 fps difference in 1080p pubg.

however rx580 was running at 80%+ load and 1080ti was around 50% load

you need to really push the graphic card with heavy load by increase resolution or graphic details to see any real difference.

luckymatt42

Upstanding
May 23, 2018

That is generally considered to be a bad idea. Long story short, RAM is sold in kits that are made to work with one another. Two sticks from different vendors is highly likely to cause SOME issues.

With this configuration, it may be impossible to really nail down the cause, as this mixed memory configuration will always be a variable.

beanobella03

Commendable
Sep 16, 2017

can you send me a link of the one i should download and tell me how to run the memtest

beanobella03

Commendable
Sep 16, 2017

could it be a possibility that when my cpu was capped at 1.36 ghz after mixing ram, that it slowed down the cpu or damaged it in a way that it wont max the performance of the 1080?. HELP ive spent over £1000 on this pc and my frames are limited to mainly 90 but goes under 50 and 40 and in pre game lobbies around 140 fps on LOW settings..

beanobella03

Commendable
Sep 16, 2017

beanobella03

Commendable
Sep 16, 2017

mixing the ram didn't work, we had to put the hyper x 8GB of ram to the side and use our new 3200 MHz corsair 4x2 GB ram sticks in the PC. however after mixing the ram (having both in the PC simultaneously) after we noticed that the PC was slower than normal, we checked task manager and saw that the CPU was capped at 1.36 GHz (for more info check earlier post about the CPU issue) and made a post. we sorted out that issue however the fps has never been the same for example some old screenshots of minecraft and saw 300fps and now only 100fps [for example] is this the cpu that is damaged or something else; because im pretty sure we used ddu to remove drivers and thats what some are saying is the issue so i dont think that is what is the issue but is the cpu? if it is the cpu will we have to replace it?

You can install memtest86 on a bootable cd or a usb stick.
You boot memtest86 and it runs; there is no windows involved.
You should be able to complete a full pass with NO errors.
https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

Solution

Magnus Thunderson

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
8 gig is fine for most gaming currently 16 thought is better for multitasking and you cpu is a minor bottleneck but i think it the major cause is the games them self's and possibly your monitor or memory as mix memory is a good thing