I just made a terrible mistake and need help

Omgwtfbbqkitten

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
I was trying to create a Windows 7 install for a laptop on a flash drive while on a Windows 10 laptop, but couldn't get the microsoft program to make the flasdrive bootable because of an error I kept getting.

So I checked online and found several suggestions to fix it using command prompt. None of the solutions worked and sometime during that process, I may have typed something in that broke my working Windows 10 laptop.

I think what caused the issue was typing bootsector /nt57 sys, trying to get the flash drive to stay fat 32, instead of using the drive letter. After I rebooted the windows 10 laptop I started getting the message NTLDR is missing press ctrl alt delete to restart and the system wont boot into windows, safe mode, and won't allow me to do anything.

I can't even launch a Windows 7 installation from the DVD Rom to reinstall a OS. Is there any way to fix this problem or a way to launch command prompt without launching windows?

Omgwtfbbqkitten

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
Thats a problem because trying to create a windows 7 bootable usb is what broke my laptop, and now that laptop can't be used to create a windows 10 bootable usb or DVD since it won't boot. And since my windows 7 laptop failed in the final stages of windows 7 install it needs to be reinstalled using the windows 7 bootable usb that wouldnt create correctly to become bootable. Im writting this on a tablet.

So I need a bootable windows 10 usb or dvd to fix my windows 10 laptop, so I can fix my windows 7 laptop all becasuse Microsoft's creation tool for creating the usb wouldn't make the usb drive bootable.

Spinachy

Honorable
Feb 17, 2016
Peter Martin's and Rdslw's suggestions are still the best way out of your dilemma. You will need to borrow another PC/Laptop to do that. Creating repair/installation media using Microsoft's tools is painless.

Omgwtfbbqkitten

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
I wouldnt say it was painless, if it were it would have worked without me having to mess with command prompt to fix it not making my flash drive bootable in the final stage. I mean Microsoft creation tool should have set the proper values itself. Anyways thanks for the responses, I will try and figure out a way to make it happen. I just find the irony of needing to fix the laptop I was using to fix the other laptop with the same solution amusing and aggravating at the same time since it broke the laptops usability.

Omgwtfbbqkitten

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
Well i think I may have caught an extremely lucky break.

I guess when Microsoft was giving away free windows 10 upgrades, I made a disc using the creation tool. I got it to troubleshooting mode and fixed the pc using command prompt to undo my mistake. I typed in bootsec /nt60 sys to restore the file system.

Now I just need to get the windows 7 creation tool to make my flash drive bootable. Any guide you can point me to?

I have windows 7 usb DVD download tool and Rufus 3.3 installed but it will not make the flashdrive bootable.

EDIT**

Well I just ran Rufus again and it finally made the usb device bootable. No idea what fixed the issue, but it works now and am installing Windows now. Hopefully it installs correctly this time.

Thanks for your suggestions and your time.

Omgwtfbbqkitten

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
Yeah I have that.. I had an old Windows 7 OEM i bought a few years ago to upgrade my Vista laptop, but the dvd drive died and I never installed it.

But I was having an issue with a game not working correctly which prompted me to try installing it from a flash drive, which led to my problems.

Anyways the usb is now booting and windows installation is almost complete.

Thanks for your help.