Question I just reinstalled Windows 10 pro 64, and i need help with what to do next to be able to play games.

Gameron

Prominent
May 4, 2019
I had another Windows crash, cuz i wasn't able to install an nvidia driver and restore points served no purpose, no other option than to reinstall Windows.
I am really desperate, 3 days, 4 including this and didn't play a game since then :(
Can someone offer me a chronological order of what to install in order to play my games ?
My laptop is this :
Laptop LENOVO Legion Y520-15IKBN, Intel® Core™ i5-7300HQ Processor (3M Cache, up to 3.5 GHz), 15.6" IPS Full HD, 8GB, 1TB, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 4GB, Free Dos

After 10:
  1. install drivers. They should all be listed on the Lenovo web page for your model.
  2. After that, install all Windows updates (so they aren't running in the background slowing you down).
  3. After that, you should be good to install and play any of your games.

Gameron

Prominent
May 4, 2019
After 10:
  1. install drivers. They should all be listed on the Lenovo web page for your model.
  2. After that, install all Windows updates (so they aren't running in the background slowing you down).
  3. After that, you should be good to install and play any of your games.
Thank you a lot :)
I have a question, when can i install geforce experience and upgrade my graphic card to the latest version ?
I did try to install it since2 days ago and allways is asking me for restart and then my Windows is crashing, after that stop working and i think i did reinstall my iwndows like 15 times so far.
Edit: atm i am downloading lenovo drivers via lenobo bridge, from lenovo.com site and after that i will install all Windows updates, as you told me :D

Gameron

Prominent
May 4, 2019
I just checked the lenovo geforce experience, is not for gtx 1050 so i set on downloading the driver from nvidia site, but i wish to learn how to install again geforce experience, so i can easily upgrade my driver.
I want to install it again, but i am afraid of another Windows crash and hours of updates again...

Gameron

Prominent
May 4, 2019
Well, you COULD download it from Nvidia, but I would recommend you find out what is causing the crashing first. Is it showing a blue screen and writing a minidump file? If yes, put it on a sharing site and send us a link so we can take a look.
I downloaded this one:
https://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/driverResults.aspx/152864/en-uk
Everytime i try to install nvidia driver from geforce experience, my Windows is restarting,
and then is restarting loop, ask me for restore points, none of them Works so i have no other choice but to reinstall Windows again and again, each time i restart after installing driver.

Gameron

Prominent
May 4, 2019
The driver should be correct. Now, what happened in the first place? What were you doing when your computer first crashed? Also, where are you getting the installation media for Windows 10?
I called some friends over and while i was away to buy something, for almost 1 hour, one of them downloaded aria, an desktop version, cracked, from some site and a girl launched it and then the Windows crashed.
Since then i'm struggling with crash loops and windows reinstalling whenever i try to install an nvidia driver.
I just had a talk with an representative from nvidia support, and she suggested me to install that driver i mentioned above, she said is ok, custom and clean install on geforce.
She also recommended me to install the bios update from lenovo support but once i installed that my laptop was stuck on logo, that big red Y, in the top mid screen.
I undo my bios update and now i am waiting a message from ubisoft mail response, or i even try again to get in touch with someone from support, live, while i wait, for another instructions.
I refrain myself from installing that driver update cuz i am very afraid of another Windows crash, she told me to install it and the installer will replace the old one, from Windows.
With that driver, cs go is in 20 fps, no more, but can go lower, to 12-15 or even 5 fps most times, wich kinda saks.
I did try earlier, in the morning to uninstall nvidia from control panel, while offline, restarted, installed the newer driver and then restarted again, once back to desktop i re-activated my wi-fi and once i clicked on upgrade to the latest driver, on geforce experience, my Windows crashed again and had to reinstall it.
Since then, i posted this thread and still waiting xD
Btw, i did consider trying with ddu but i didn't find any safe mode and no ideea if that would work, since i deleted folders myself from program files and program files x86 as well, the same does ddu so no point in installing it, or must I ?

Thanks for all the info. Do you have Lenovo recovery software, or did you have to install Windows 10 manually? In either case, you want to put your important data on separate drive, if you haven't already, and do a Windows 10 clean install (tell it to wipe everything). Also make sure you are using a current build of Windows 10, and the latest Nvidia drivers don't like old builds.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

Gameron

Prominent
May 4, 2019
Thanks for all the info. Do you have Lenovo recovery software, or did you have to install Windows 10 manually? In either case, you want to put your important data on separate drive, if you haven't already, and do a Windows 10 clean install (tell it to wipe everything). Also make sure you are using a current build of Windows 10, and the latest Nvidia drivers don't like old builds.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO
I already Windows on my usb, i took a picture to the key wich i bought it last winter and i allways perform install once i format everything there.
Now i am trying again to install nvidia drivers and i hope my Windows won't crash again and waste another 2 hours from my life with installing wich is like 20-30 minutes and waiting for everything else to get updated by itself, cuz if i try something while those updates occur, i just have no ideea what to do next.
Edit: i was smart enough to keep every important document or pictures safe.
But i had no ideea that i forgot about restoring points, wich are a waste of time cuz i tried last night to use them when i had another crash from nvidia driver installing, and no restore point from that list was....clickable.
No ideea why.

Use DDu in safe mode to remove and reinstall your GPU drivers. Follow this guide:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

If you still have issues then you should contact your laptop manufacturer (Lenovo) or your retailer for additional help.
Your problem although it's not big or very important, it shouldn't be a problem in the first place. But, just so you know, GeForce Experience is notorious for the problems/slowness/crashes it has.

Gameron

Prominent
May 4, 2019
Restore your laptop to factory specs.
Here is a tutorial:
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/...on-series/legion-y520-15ikbn/videos/vid100759

The novo button may actually not be a button, but a pinhole on the side of the unit.
https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht104038
Use the end of a paper clip to activate it.
I have done this on a y700 and it works easily.
I did try that before reinstalling Windows in the first day, didn't work and didn't even pop up any window, just normal restart and went to the complex solutions, no restore point there as well so i had to reinstall the Windows.
Anyway, i had only games in my laptop, important files are backed up , i back up each week or whenever i use, modify or get an document.
Thx for the link thou, maybe someone else Who use lenovo will solve his problem :)

Gameron

Prominent
May 4, 2019
Use DDu in safe mode to remove and reinstall your GPU drivers. Follow this guide:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

If you still have issues then you should contact your laptop manufacturer (Lenovo) or your retailer for additional help.
Your problem although it's not big or very important, it shouldn't be a problem in the first place. But, just so you know, GeForce Experience is notorious for the problems/slowness/crashes it has.
I tried, but i reached the conclusion that this is an Windows problem, because i contacted nvidia support and we have reached this conclusion.
I also tried to upgrade everything with lenovo drivers, but when i did try bios upgrade, crash and reinstalling Windows.
I think i reinsta;;ed it like 20-30 times, i got tired of it, so i just have to contact the store i bought my laptop from, i still have the command on my acc, on that store's site.
I suppose warranty was for 1 year, it should be for some use.
This laptop isn't there anymore so i have no ideea xD
I will try to contact Microsoft support, but they may send me to lenovo, so i guess i'll start with lenovo support first.
My Windows is oem, maybe is working only on the first install.
I highly doubt that my gpu stopped working, cuz i use this laptop atm, and cpu is just fine.
I did read in many places that cpu is linked with gpu, on laptop, so they are both removed from laptop, when someone want to chenge his/her gpu.

Gameron

Prominent
May 4, 2019
I tried, but i reached the conclusion that this is an Windows problem, because i contacted nvidia support and we have reached this conclusion.
I also tried to upgrade everything with lenovo drivers, but when i did try bios upgrade, crash and reinstalling Windows.
I think i reinsta;;ed it like 20-30 times, i got tired of it, so i just have to contact the store i bought my laptop from, i still have the command on my acc, on that store's site.
I suppose warranty was for 1 year, it should be for some use.
This laptop isn't there anymore so i have no ideea xD
I will try to contact Microsoft support, but they may send me to lenovo, so i guess i'll start with lenovo support first.
My Windows is oem, maybe is working only on the first install.
I highly doubt that my gpu stopped working, cuz i use this laptop atm, and cpu is just fine.
I did read in many places that cpu is linked with gpu, on laptop, so they are both removed from laptop, when someone want to chenge his/her gpu.
Edit: i changed my mind, i won't contact lenovo support, there are only South american regions, or wherever is pulau, jalek or whatever....

I did try that before reinstalling Windows in the first day, didn't work and didn't even pop up any window, just normal restart and went to the complex solutions, no restore point there as well so i had to reinstall the Windows.
Anyway, i had only games in my laptop, important files are backed up , i back up each week or whenever i use, modify or get an document.
Thx for the link thou, maybe someone else Who use lenovo will solve his problem :)
The image needed to restore was in a hidden partition on your drive.
Once you started a new clean windows install, the data was likely erased.
One option might be to contact lenovo for another copy of the restore image.

If you will try to install windows again, download the latest version directly from microsoft.

Gameron

Prominent
May 4, 2019
The image needed to restore was in a hidden partition on your drive.
Once you started a new clean windows install, the data was likely erased.
One option might be to contact lenovo for another copy of the restore image.

If you will try to install windows again, download the latest version directly from microsoft.
I re-downloaded the latest version from Microsoft and installed it via Microsoft tool, applied my oem key wich i bought last winter, updated everything from Windows updates.
I did think about contacting lenovo via email but there seemed to be region lock for south america, i think , with names from just cause 2, like pulau and others.