[SOLVED] I just replaced my i5 3470 with an i7 3770K and now the performance is getting worst and worst.... PLZ HELP :(

May 13, 2020
Hello guys,

I have a PC with the following specs
Main board: B75 d3v (2 RAM slots)
CPU: i7 3770k (T410i Cooler Master CPU Fan)
GPU: GTX 1060 6gb OC INNO 3D
PSU: 500W
RAM: 12 gb bus 1600 hz (1 slot 8gb + 1 slot 4gb)
HDD: 2TB
SSD: 120gb (to store window only, all games in HDD)

Before i used the same spec with the CPU i5 3470

After upgraded to the i7 3770k, i notice that the game i play (GTA V online) is suffering really bad performance. the fps was lower than before (before 50-70fps, now 40-65 fps) and the worst thing is stuttering started to happen. As soon as i drive around for 3-4 mins, a FPS drop occur and push the FPS down to 20-25 for a few seconds then it back to normal, the temperature when i use my PC while playing game is about 60-70 Celcius max so i dont really think its about the temperature. It is possibly that the problem come from CPU guys? Is there any programs or ways to test it out? Please help me out. Thank you so much!

EDIT: I bought CPU i7 3770k is a 2nd product with 1 month guarantee, not a new one

Solution
Download and run OCCT on the CPU stress test and look at the temps. EDIT (CPU temps is all that is needed with the test running)

Sounds like classic thermal throttling good FPS then drops down when the CPU throttles then as the CPU cools increases again.
May 13, 2020
Hello guys,

I have a PC with the following specs
Main board: B75 d3v (2 RAM slots)
CPU: i7 3770k (T410i Cooler Master CPU Fan)
GPU: GTX 1060 6gb OC INNO 3D
PSU: 500W
RAM: 12 gb bus 1600 hz (1 slot 8gb + 1 slot 4gb)
HDD: 2TB
SSD: 120gb (to store window only, all games in HDD)

Before i used the same spec with the CPU i5 3470

After upgraded to the i7 3770k, i notice that the game i play (GTA V online) is suffering really bad performance. the fps was lower than before (before 50-70fps, now 40-65 fps) and the worst thing is stuttering started to happen. As soon as i drive around for 3-4 mins, a FPS drop occur and push the FPS down to 20-25 for a few seconds then it back to normal, the temperature when i use my PC while playing game is about 60-70 Celcius max so i dont really think its about the temperature. It is possibly that the problem come from CPU guys? Is there any programs or ways to test it out? Please help me out. Thank you so much!

EDIT: I bought CPU i7 3770k is a 2nd product with 1 month guarantee, not a new one

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Reset the bios to factory optimized defaults (F5 usually) and clear cmos. Then go back and fix anything like ram speeds, xmp, CSM etc.

The bios has multiple hidden settings that are most likely still set for the i5. Just changing processors won't change those settings, you need to reset the bios to force the bios to find the i7 settings instead. Clearing cmos removes the list of the prior settings, so they don't get repeated.

Reactions: DestroyerROK

4745454b

Titan
70C is high for me. I try to keep my CPU lower than that. I'm not sure what cooler you are using. "T410i Cooler Master" doesn't come up in my search.

How many cores does windows see? When I went from my 3570K to my 3770K windows failed to load the drivers correctly. I had to delete them and reboot. You might want to try that yourself.

May 13, 2020
Reset the bios to factory optimized defaults (F5 usually) and clear cmos. Then go back and fix anything like ram speeds, xmp, CSM etc.

The bios has multiple hidden settings that are most likely still set for the i5. Just changing processors won't change those settings, you need to reset the bios to force the bios to find the i7 settings instead. Clearing cmos removes the list of the prior settings, so they don't get repeated.
Thank you, i will try and let you know if it works

May 13, 2020
70C is high for me. I try to keep my CPU lower than that. I'm not sure what cooler you are using. "T410i Cooler Master" doesn't come up in my search.

How many cores does windows see? When I went from my 3570K to my 3770K windows failed to load the drivers correctly. I had to delete them and reboot. You might want to try that yourself.
Hi, I see in the properties of My PC and it recognize my chip as i7 3770k, in QuickCPU and CPU-Z program it also tell my chip is load up with 4 cores and 8 threads, do you mean i should reinstall window or should i install drivers of something? Thank you for your reply

May 13, 2020
In device manager delete the cpu drivers under processors. It will probably ask to reboot after you delete each one. Tell it no and reboot once you've deleted them all. Window will reinstall once it boots back up.
Hi, i have done the following things you told, now in the processor part of Device Manager, it show only the drivers of my i7-3770k cpu, but the stuttering issue is still there unfortunately :(( About it, do you think its because the CPU got problems or different components might got error? If its CPU, do you have any difference method that i can try? Thank you a lot.

May 13, 2020
Where did you get your cpu? If it was from a shady source it might actually be a fake.
Hi, i bought it through a store near my house, the store been there for quite long time and also attract good amount of customers so i dont think they are considered as shady source. Personally i think its a real one, because before, when i play GTA V online with my CPU i5-3470, i noticed that the CPU always load at 100% for like all the time, always 100%. But since i replaced it with my i7 3770k, the CPU load now only about 40-60% in game, if its a fake one then i think it possibly load more % than that.... (?) Thank you for your reply

May 13, 2020

Hi, i have done the following things you mentioned. Reset the BIOS and clear CMOS. But when i launch the game, the stuttering issue is still there unfortunately :(( Do you think its possibly because of the CPU itself or it might be because other components suddenly got errors because of the new CPU? If you have any other methods or softwares that i could test please help me. Thank you a lot for your reply

May 13, 2020
Just that 1 game? Or all games. Do you have the last motherboard chipset drivers installed (they are the same place as the Bios)
Hi, i recently test PUBG and Call of Duty War Zone, same situation happened as well :(( Yes, i have the chipset drivers installed. In Device manager, the drivers in processor part are also all i7 3770k....

May 13, 2020
Download and run OCCT on the CPU stress test and look at the temps. EDIT (CPU temps is all that is needed with the test running)

Sounds like classic thermal throttling good FPS then drops down when the CPU throttles then as the CPU cools increases again.
Hi, thanks for your reply. I have downloaded the program OCCT you told me and i did run a bench test with it, the temperature is in the range from 50-70 Celcius like when im playing game, but i do notice some thing unsual in the frequency chart as the CPU frequency chart goes up and down up and down usually, unlike gpu chart always stay at 100%. Please check the image in my google drive link to see if its normal or not. Thank you

Hi, i bought it through a store near my house, the store been there for quite long time and also attract good amount of customers so i dont think they are considered as shady source. Personally i think its a real one, because before, when i play GTA V online with my CPU i5-3470, i noticed that the CPU always load at 100% for like all the time, always 100%. But since i replaced it with my i7 3770k, the CPU load now only about 40-60% in game, if its a fake one then i think it possibly load more % than that.... (?) Thank you for your reply
I agree that the source sounds legit, but if it was sold as new, the processor is probably not legit as these have been out of official production for a decade now.

May 13, 2020
Hi guys, today i went to the shop and returned the CPU to the store, unfortunately, thats the last one in stock and they probably not going to import it anymore. So i decided to trade with an i7 3770S instead and get some money as refund back and now the performance is really incredible, my fps is now stable without any stuttering and spikes like the i7 3770k, the image and video quality is getting much much better than my i5 3470 and now i can do multiple stuff in one time without lagging like before. Thanks so much for helping me, probably that the CPU got some problem and it cant run at max frequency for more than couple seconds (like the image of the chart i sent) thats why it make the game stutter so bad! Case closed guys xD

Hi guys, today i went to the shop and returned the CPU to the store, unfortunately, thats the last one in stock and they probably not going to import it anymore. So i decided to trade with an i7 3770S instead and get some money as refund back and now the performance is really incredible, my fps is now stable without any stuttering and spikes like the i7 3770k, the image and video quality is getting much much better than my i5 3470 and now i can do multiple stuff in one time without lagging like before. Thanks so much for helping me, probably that the CPU got some problem and it cant run at max frequency for more than couple seconds (like the image of the chart i sent) thats why it make the game stutter so bad! Case closed guys xD
'not going to import it anymore'==FAKE!

It's amazing what a little bit of hyperthreading will do. :D Glad to hear you've got some amazing results!

Keep in mind that you can get a slight bit more performance with a 3770k as well as overclocking if you need it in the future, but you're faster than you were before and with more threads too:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i7-3770S-vs-Intel-i5-3470-vs-Intel-i7-3770K/897vs822vs2

gtarayan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
You wouldn't be able to overclock a 3770k in that motherboard anyway - 3770 is the best option. With 3770s you loose 400Mhz of clock in exchange for a lower power consumption. Clearly the new CPU has extended the useful life of your PC - so it's an upgrade well done!

You wouldn't be able to overclock a 3770k in that motherboard anyway - 3770 is the best option. With 3770s you loose 400Mhz of clock in exchange for a lower power consumption. Clearly the new CPU has extended the useful life of your PC - so it's an upgrade well done!
The K is actually clocked 100Mhz higher even at stock speeds, so it's still the top dog if squeezing every drop of performance:
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/514/Intel_Core_i7_i7-3770_vs_Intel_Core_i7_i7-3770K.html