[SOLVED] I just upgraded my GPU today. but im getting lower FPS then i did with my old GPU?. please help.

Smedhead

Prominent
Sep 28, 2019
So recently I build a new to me used little beast of a pc. After buying a nice 1080p monitor. My old rig wasn't cutting it any more. Going off topic. So my system specs are

Ryzen 5 1600 (next big upgrade is going to be a r9 zen 2 or zen 3)
stock amd cooler. nothing fancy yet.
Asus X470 rog gaming - F
G skill Trident z 3600mhz 19CL, i know i cant even use these speeds. the mobo ram and case was a package deal
cheap 240 gb ssd and a slow 1 tb hard drive.
Gtx 1060- just upgraded to a 1080ti as of now
nzxt h510i elite
cheap 500w psu from evga.

Now after upgrading to the gtx 1080ti from the 1060. the 1060 wasnt really giving me the 165hz experince i wanted any more. just wasnt enough. i want mo powa baby, but im actually not getting any fps gain. im loosing fps... so yes im very upset atm. i googled the issue before rushing to a forum to post. some have had close to the same problem. fixed it by deleting the drivers from the system, so i tryed the same. after close to 10 reboots. cause damn nvidia drivers. then the card not being reconized in msi after burner. then re installing nvidia drivers. having a bit of a brag gasum that i didnt have to scroll to far to see my 1080ti top of the list. when selecting 10 series. installing the drivers. giving the system a re boot again. and still again no fps change. now i turn to you to help me with this frustrating issue. i mean if i have to ill re install windows. i really dont want to. like at all. but id like to try other options. thx guys

Solution
I did it threw control panel. when you uninstall them there, it wanted me to reboot the system after I uninstalled each nvidia thing. it's a evga 500b that's really all I know about it. it was 60 bucks Canadian at an overpriced store so probably 30-40 usd.
Yeah, get rid of that thing, and get a good PSU.

Also, @Nemesia is spot on, you'll definitely want to get rid of what you can on the SSD. You don't want utilization to be above 80%, maybe 85% if you're pushing it.

Smedhead

Prominent
Sep 28, 2019
cpu is about 45 ish. gpu hovers around 60-70 it's a founder's edition card so it's a blower. I have 32 gbs of ram. ssd has a about 20gbs left on in. damn gta 5 and it's like the basic of basic. 500 watt power supply. it's not even a bronze rating.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The EXACT brand of that PSU would be needed. Telling us 500 watt and what 80 plus rating it has (or doesn't have) doesn't particularly help, given the enormous number of PSU models that EVGA has put out there. Given a "cheap" EVGA model, It wouldn't surprise me if the PSU was causing issues.

How, exactly, did you delete the existing drivers? If you didn't use DDU in safe mode, I suggest downloading DDU, rebooting into Safe Mode, and running DDU to wipe the existing drivers, reboot, then immediately install the new drivers.

Why did you need to reboot 10 times? That definitely suggests something other than a driver issue.

Smedhead

Prominent
Sep 28, 2019
and cpu usage is any where from 10-20% depending on the title. I don't own any super demanding titles. and gpu the highest I've seen was 41% it normally sits at 27-35 percent ish. according to my nzxt cam 2 software. and cam software worked fine with my gtx 1060 so I dont see what the issue is there

Smedhead

Prominent
Sep 28, 2019
yeah I am kinda thinking it was the power supply. I just didn't wanna consider it. I mean the system works but I was getting the feeling there's something going on there

Smedhead

Prominent
Sep 28, 2019
The EXACT brand of that PSU would be needed. Telling us 500 watt and what 80 plus rating it has (or doesn't have) doesn't particularly help, given the enormous number of PSU models that EVGA has put out there. Given a "cheap" EVGA model, It wouldn't surprise me if the PSU was causing issues.

How, exactly, did you delete the existing drivers? If you didn't use DDU in safe mode, I suggest downloading DDU, rebooting into Safe Mode, and running DDU to wipe the existing drivers, reboot, then immediately install the new drivers.

Why did you need to reboot 10 times? That definitely suggests something other than a driver issue.

I did it threw control panel. when you uninstall them there, it wanted me to reboot the system after I uninstalled each nvidia thing. it's a evga 500b that's really all I know about it. it was 60 bucks Canadian at an overpriced store so probably 30-40 usd.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yeah, get rid of that thing, and get a good PSU.

Also, @Nemesia is spot on, you'll definitely want to get rid of what you can on the SSD. You don't want utilization to be above 80%, maybe 85% if you're pushing it.

Solution