Question I killed my GPU with an air compressor

Jan 10, 2022
The title says it.
I wanted to blow the dust off my GTX 970, but instead of using those normal compressed air cans, I used a giant air compressor that my father has in his workshop.

Yes, I know, that's probably one of the dumbest ways someone has ever killed a GPU.
Now the thing won't turn on. When it does, it only stays that way for a brief period before restarting (with lots of artifacts appearing in the mobo screen).

Is it possible that it was just some component's soldering that broke due to the air pressure, and therefore it may be fixable, or is it probably something much worse and I shouldn't even bother trying to diagnose it?

The title says it.
I wanted to blow the dust off my GTX 970, but instead of using those normal compressed air cans, I used a giant air compressor that my father has in his workshop.

Yes, I know, that's probably one of the dumbest ways someone has ever killed a GPU.
Now the thing won't turn on. When it does, it only stays that way for a brief period before restarting (with lots of artifacts appearing in the mobo screen).

Is it possible that it was just some component's soldering that broke due to the air pressure, and therefore it may be fixable, or is it probably something much worse and I shouldn't even bother trying to diagnose it?
most probably your GPU can be fixed, the air compressor can break things but it won't fry them, best find a repair shop as you might find it hard to know what broke and how to replace or fix it
this should be good news as buying a new GPU is like buying a new car these days

From what I have read air compressors should not be used as they can build up and discharge static which is dangerous to any components. This is just something I read a long time ago and cannot validate, however if true there might static damage which would not be visible.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
The worst thing about those air compressors is moisture that comes out with the air.
You can also burn the fan bearings out if you don't hold the fan still.
I use mine but turn the pressure down and I also have a dryer on it because it's also used for painting.

Most of the time a repair shop will just charge you and say it's gone.