[SOLVED] I killed the battery trying to fix WiFi signal on laptop

mitk0o0o0

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2012
A friend of mine brought me his Acer Aspire F5-573G which has really bad WiFi signal and he claims he got it like that after receiving it back from a repair shop a while ago. At first I thought it would be faulty drivers so I did the usual steps of re-installing, rolling back and whatnot but that didn't solve it.

I figured since he got it like that from repair that the person could have left some wire inside loose, or maybe the WiFi card isn't connected properly to the motherboard so I decided I'd take a look.
Here is a picture from the insides:
mRgWL7G.jpg

Even though you can see the white wire connected in the photo, both the white and black wires were initially disconnected when I opened the back case of the laptop and everything else you see was in its place as it is on the photo.
So basically what I did was plug in the two wires in their place and ever since I did that, the battery stopped working and the laptop now only powers on with the AC connected. As soon as I unplug it, it shuts down.

What's worse now is that even after removing the two wires, the laptop still refuses to power on using the battery, but works just fine with the AC. One mistake I believe I made was leaving the battery plugged while tweaking with the wires on the WiFi card and I've read that it's always recommended we disconnect the battery when tweaking the insides.

What I tried:
Try to power on without the 2 wires
Disconnect the AC wire, leave the battery and hold the power button for 30 seconds
Disconnect the AC wire and battery wire and hold the power button (probably useless but still)
I watched a video where someone says the little button that you see up there on the right is to reset the battery. I tried pressing that but that also didn't do anything.

When Windows 10 loads the battery icon keeps filling up for around 15-20 seconds and then stops. It displays the percentage and just says (plugged)

I'm all out of ideas on what to try now and I can't help but feel responsible for this, so I am desperately looking for a solution. The WiFi signal is excellent when the wires are connected but now the battery is dead. Did I kill it? Is there anything else I could try to revive it?

Last edited:
Solution
Turns out there is a micro button that keeps something inside pushed once the back cover is properly attached and if it does not push it, the battery is turned off. I didn't attach the back cover properly because I just wanted to quickly test the WiFi. Now that it is in place it is working again.

mitk0o0o0

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2012
Turns out there is a micro button that keeps something inside pushed once the back cover is properly attached and if it does not push it, the battery is turned off. I didn't attach the back cover properly because I just wanted to quickly test the WiFi. Now that it is in place it is working again.

Solution