I know I can turn ram into a sort of temporary ssd, but can I go the other way around?

Solution
Yes, as said a pagefile is the normal way to simulate memory.

To give you an idea of the speed difference, RAM seek time is measured in nanoseconds which is 100,000x quicker than the 0.1 millisecond of a SSD. HDDs are about 10-15 milliseconds so 100-150x slower yet. So if you are frequently heavily using the pagefile you need more RAM.

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
It's just that I did a google search and I've found this:

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-use-ssd-as-ram

Could you guys take a look at it and tell me how feasible it is, please? And if it's worth it?

In another similar article someone asks about the same and someone else says it would do too much wear and tear to
the ssd through constant reads and writes reducing its life time drastically. Is it true?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Your link means that virtual memory is better on an SSD as appose to being on a conventional HDD (Slower) and also goes on to say
However, using a SSDD for the page file will not increase performance or additional RAM
which is what Phillip was saying because system memory is much faster than an SSD.

SSD's life span has improved a lot of over the years, even back then when SSDs were new to the scene there was caution that too much writing to the SSD would shorten it's life, that's if you write 10GB's of data every day it might last 10years :). Bit exaggerated but not a concern these days. More the reason why people restricted what went onto the SSD (Web browser content etc) was the limited space SSDs had.

Yes, as said a pagefile is the normal way to simulate memory.

To give you an idea of the speed difference, RAM seek time is measured in nanoseconds which is 100,000x quicker than the 0.1 millisecond of a SSD. HDDs are about 10-15 milliseconds so 100-150x slower yet. So if you are frequently heavily using the pagefile you need more RAM.

Solution