[SOLVED] I lose FPS in games because of of Superfetch?

Apr 14, 2019
I lose 20-30 FPS in games when I don't delete Superfetch and restart my PC. Here is an example. I turn on my PC and start AC Origins. I get around 35-40 FPS. Then if I go to Superfetch folder, delete everything inside of it, restart my PC and start AC again, then my FPS won't go below 60. This happens in EVERY SINGLE GAME. I checked my RAM my CPU my GPU, everything. All runs with the correct clocks and correct usage %. I tried to disable Superfetch in Services and in Regedit, but when I start programs, it always gets filled with files. That means every time I turn on my PC, I have to do all of this. Completely reinstalling Windows 10 from a pendrive to a new hard drive multiple times didn't help either. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
i guess that makes sense given your previous statement about disabling it.

So it seems its half gone but "something" is still filling the folder.

Have you restarted after emptying it? I mean the restart option in power menu of shutdown as the only time a PC with fast startup turned on is actually off is during a restart. Its possible a restart will stop the process that is filling that folder.

I haven't done it myself so not sure if there is a right process order to follow to stop it. I

know windows version updates re enable it unless you have PC on selective startup which is meant to force windows to remember what services to not run every start, or not reinstall them after an update - there will be a new version next month.

guess we wait and see if anyone else has any smart ideas.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Well, I always have to restart after deleting the Prefetch folder's files. If I don't restart, I won't "get back" my normal FPS .

fair enough. its a mystery to me, if you have service disabled in many places, it shouldn't keep filling folder. I can't see any other services that might be to blame. Restarts force windows to load everything afresh so it shouldn't be filling folder??

wonder if enabling it and then disabling it again will fix it? stranger things have happened before.

Apr 14, 2019
I have never encountered such a strange problem before. How can something like this affect my FPS that much? BTW It fill the folder again while im using the PC (with programs that i use) And I have to delete them again when i turn on the PC next time.

Colif

Win 11 Master
long shot. Go to settings/accounts/sync your settings and turn off other windows settings (or turn it all off if this only PC). It could be pulling data off some sync server when you login. It would explain where previously deleted folders come from.

Apr 14, 2019
Not the previously deleted files come back, but it generates new files. If I know correctly, Prefetch makes programs that you use often start faster. So when i delete all of them, and restart, they won't reappear rightaway, but the PC generates them again.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Data for SuperFetch is gathered by the %SystemRoot%\System32\Sysmain.dll, part of the Service Host process, %SystemRoot%\System32\Svchost.exe, and stored in a series of files in the %SystemRoot%\Prefetch directory

https://www.forensicswiki.org/wiki/SuperFetch

so thats what gathers them but i am not sure what processes other than superfetch and Prefetch are involved.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS