Question I lose HDMI source directly after Windows boot up

Dreezey

Prominent
Dec 21, 2019
When I boot up my computer it will show the BIOS screen and log into Windows, but after about 10 seconds on the desktop it says that I lost my HDMI source. My computer is still running and the fans are all still working, yet the display will not work.

This error occurs with my RTX 2060. When I use my GTX 770 instead I am able to avoid this display loss. However, with this GPU it constantly freezing every 30 seconds - 1 minute (usually when I am loading attempting to load program).

Build
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 2060 / GTX 770
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix x470-F gaming
RAM: TridentZ neo (2x 8GB) DDR4 3600 MHz CL16-19-19-39 1.35 V
PSU: Corsair RM850 ATX (80 Plus Gold)
SSD: Samsung EVO 1 TB 2.5 inch SATA III internal
Case: NZXT H710 ATX midtower

(all of these are new components except the GPUs and the SSD. These were in my previous build and all was well)

What I have tried:
  • Check all connections and tried various DVI/HDMI cables
  • Updated video drivers
  • Clean install of Windows (twice)
  • Returned and replaced motherboard (same model)
  • Bought a new PSU (old PSU was Corsair HX750)
  • Returned and replaced RAM (same model)
    • Initially ran MemTest and found 7 errors
    • Newly replaced RAM found 0 errors on MemTest
  • Migrated my OS onto an HDD (have since migrated back to my SSD)
  • Increased the voltage of my RAM (1.35 -->1.45) and manually clocked it with DOCP 3600 profile
  • Switched GPU to different PCI slots

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
Yeah, it will boot in safe mode. What all should I test in safe mode?
After in test mode, delete your graphics drivers and reboot in regular mode. Windows should automatically install the right drivers to get you up and running. If this doesn't work, do the same thing but delete your display drivers.
I'm assuming you have a display and can access bios(cmos) until you load windows. It sounds like one of your drivers isn't right.
There is a lot of available information on the step by step to delete and reinstall drivers if you don't know how to. Or ask and someone here can walk you through it. Will just take longer.