I lost 250mb overnight!

haydox

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
I currently have 4x1GB sticks of DDR2 800 in a P5E running XP. I know that this means i can only use 3.25Gb of my RAM, but that extra 250mb allowed all 4 sticks to run in dual channel, so i figured it was worth it.

But when i turned my computer on this morning, as i was going into device manager i noticed that under the properties window of my computer it only said i had 3gb, not 3.25 as it said last night!

If one of my sticks was faulty, would it just not work or would i get an error of some kind? Are there any other reasons for this happening?

Thanks

Update: To add an extra layer of confusion, i just ran 3Dmark (13788, better than 97% of all systems apparently!), and that detected all 4 sticks of my RAM under the basic analysis, but under the configuration tab it only says 3gb of system memory! Somehow its detecting the 4th stick but not using it.

eck

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2005
It's not that it's not using the 4th stick, it's just not using 1GB of RAM. Using a 32-bit OS limits RAM somewhere between 3GB and 3.5GB depending on your motherboard. Did you add any hardware by chance?

night_wolf_in

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007

first of all. that 3.25 is rough estimation. could be changed with any hardware changes.

did u add any hardware? coz each hardware needs it own addressings. so they will cut from the memory. dont forget. if i u have gpu with 512MB, or more. it will deduce the "ram" ur OS can use.

just google it. there is a whole long explanation of why 4GB of ram wont be shown. to cut the problem short. use 2GB of ram.

dengamle

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2007
Remapping should be disabled when using an OS that limits the address space to 4 GB. By enabling it you can lose more ram than having it disabled

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

Your right it says in my manual, "enable this option only when you install 64bit operating systems."

Having four sticks of DDR2 memory is what's enabling you to run in dual channel. It has nothing to do with "that extra 250mb". The 3.25 GB or whatever is shown as system memory is a consequence of the OS you are using and any BIOS options you select.

The first is hardware; the second is software.

haydox

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
Thanks everyone. So as long as remapping is disabled in the bios thats not the problem.

I did also install my 2nd 512mb radeon hd 3870 as the brige cables finally arrived! I didnt know that could cause it to drop. That will be it, problem solved.

Thanks again!