Question i lost my access to administrator comman prompt

zbs60

Reputable
Apr 2, 2019
HI All

I built a computer using a asrock b450m pro4. I was trying to change my bios from legacy to eufi but somewhere along the line i lost my administration privilege to the command prompt. If i go into settings and click on accounts i show up as administrator. Anyone tell me how i can get it back?

zbs60

Reputable
Apr 2, 2019

Hi Hotaru

Yes i got into the administrator command promp now. But , i have forgotten my administrator password. So, i went into the microsoft account to attempt to change my password. I changed my password 5 times now. It keeps asking for my present password but non of these passwords work when i go back in to the command prompts and its asking for the password. All i want to do is change my bios from legacy to eufi to update the os to windows 11. Could you guide me how recover my administration password so i can update the OS??? Thanks for your time

Colif

Win 11 Master
All i want to do is change my bios from legacy to eufi to update the os to windows 11
Did you swap MBR to GPT before swapping the bios settings. As it might not work all that well. Old hdd can't boot using UEFI unless they converted first - https://it-infrastructure.solutions/how-to-switch-from-legacy-to-uefi-boot-mode-mbr2gpt-convertion/

I wish the instructions out there in the wild about needing to swap to UEFI also told people about needing to swap hdd formats at same time.

Password problems with windows accounts could fix self over time. Its a weekend still, that doesn't help. Servers may need to catch up.

zbs60

Reputable
Apr 2, 2019
Thanks for all your replies. I was wondering, when i had windows 8 it was easy to reset the system to an earlier date. Can i do that in windows 10? Would my original setup come back with my original adinistration account? I have the original windows 10 key and looking through all my stuff i found my original Administrators password which no longer works.

zbs60

Reputable
Apr 2, 2019
Thanks for all your replies. I was wondering, when i had windows 8 it was easy to reset the system to an earlier date. Can i do that in windows 10? Would my original setup come back with my original adinistration account? I have the original windows 10 key and looking through all my stuff i found my original Administrators password which no longer works.
Did you swap MBR to GPT before swapping the bios settings. As it might not work all that well. Old hdd can't boot using UEFI unless they converted first - https://it-infrastructure.solutions/how-to-switch-from-legacy-to-uefi-boot-mode-mbr2gpt-convertion/

I wish the instructions out there in the wild about needing to swap to UEFI also told people about needing to swap hdd formats at same time.

Password problems with windows accounts could fix self over time. Its a weekend still, that doesn't help. Servers may need to catch up.

HI Colif

Well the drive i built this computer with is a Samsung NVME. M.2. From my recollection is was always MBR. It would let me change anything without my administrator password.

If you have an external drive or some other computer, at this point, I'd say pull the data you need to keep from it, grab the license key (see https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/find-windows-product-key) and write it down somewhere, and reinstall Windows.

I'm assuming however you didn't buy a digital license from the Microsoft Store. If you did that's tied to your account. You can always try to recover it if that's the case.

zbs60

Reputable
Apr 2, 2019
HI everyone

So if i reinstall windows will i be able to start from a totally clean slate and redo my password? Will i be able to reconfigure my bios to uefi??

Im almost thinking about buying a new motherboard and a cheap windows key. I checked on the one i have now it says its a retail not oem version.

Sure is strange
1 there is no Uefi setting under advance options.
2 i notice there is no ability to disable bitlock in my versions of windows
3 windows doesnt recognize that secure boot is on in my bios

thanks